The Mark Of Nimueh

Silas sits at his table reading when Arthur walks in

Silas sits at his table reading when Arthur walks in. "Good to see you know how to knock." Silas tells him making Arthur shake his head. "Come on something's happened. I want you near me when possible, don't want anything happening to you." Arthur tells him. Silas nods and puts his book down before following Arthur to the throne room. They both walk in at the same time as Gaius and Merlin. "What's happened to him?" Uther asks after Gaius finishes examining the body "I don't know, Sire. It's the second case I've seen today." Gaius tells him. "Why didn't you report it to me?" Uther asks. "I was attempting to find the cause." Gaius explains. "What did you conclude?" Uther asks the physician. "I don't think it's time to hurry to conclusions. The scientific process is a long one." Gaius responds. "What are you concealing from me?" Uther asks. "Sire, I have seen nothing like it. The victims are dying in 24 hours, and it's spreading fast." Gaius tells him. "What is the cause?" Uther demands. "I think you should say that the cause, the most likely cause, is sorcery." Gaius says. Silas shifts slightly as Uther takes Arthur to the side. After a few minutes Arthur walks over to Silas "Come on, we're doing door to door searches." he tells Silas.

Later that day they head to Gaius' quarters. They barge in without knocking making Silas frown slightly. "Over there." Arthur tells the guards. "Sorry Gaius, we're searching every room in town." Arthur then explains as Silas goes and sits by Merlin. "What for?" Gaius asks. "The sorcerer." Arthur responds. "But why would he be here?" he asks. "I'm just doing my job." Arthur tells him. "We've nothing to hide. Go on, then. Search." Gaius tells them. "What's all these books and papers?" Arthur asks. "My life's work, dedicated to the understanding of science. You are quite welcome to read through them if you wish." Gaius responds. "What's this room up here?" Arthur asks turning to the back of the room. "Er, it's mine." Merlin responds. "And what do you expect to find in there?" Gaius asks. "I'm looking for material or evidence suggesting the use of enchantments." Arthur explains. "What've you done with the magic book I gave you?" Gaius asks Merlin making Silas look at his friend. "Merlin, come here. Look what I found." Arthur calls from Merlin's room. Merlin goes up with Silas following. "I found a place where you can put things. It's called a cupboard." Arthur says shutting the cupboard. Silas chuckles and spots the book on the floor. Magically he covers it with the bed sheet. Arthur looks under the bed, but misses the book. He leaves Merlin's room as Merlin turns to Silas "Thank you." he smiles. Silas smiles and leads Merlin out the room. "How long do you think it may be before you find a cure?" Arthur asks Gaius. "It depends on how many interruptions I get." Gaius tells him. "Of course, I'm sorry." Arthur turns to Guards. "We're finished here." he tells them before walking out. Silas looks at Merlin "Find a better place to hide your book." he whispers before following his brother.

That evening Silas stands with Arthur as he talks to their Father. "We searched everywhere, the entire city." Arthur explains. "Nothing?" Uther asks. "I don't know where else to look." Arthur sighs. "I want you to impose a curfew. No one is to be allowed onto the streets after the great bell. And cordon off the lower town." Uther tells them. "Why?" Arthur asks. "Because that's where most of the victims are. Let's isolate it, stop this disease from spreading." Uther says. "What about the people who live there?" Arthur asks him. "Don't you think I haven't considered it? What else can I do? I have to protect the rest of the city." Uther responds. Silas and Arthur bow before leaving.