22

Jenna

I wake up coughing, bending over and hacking. It feels like my lungs are coming out my throat. A few nurses rush into the room. One holding a small bucket so that I don't get blood all over the place and the second putting medicine into my IV drip. The coughing eventually subsides.

"Sorry." I say wiping my mouth. Haley one of the nurses shakes her head as she pulls out a wipe for me. She shakes her head as she wipes at the blood.

"It's not your fault Jenna. Although we will have to talk to Dr Robins tomorrow." She says as she straightens up and walk away. I groan as I lay back down. I knew my time was drawing near. I didn't want to admit it but, like C.S Lewis once said
The future is something everyone reaches at sixty minutes an hour.
Yeah I was definitely reaching the future.

It's late morning when I wake up the next morning. After the coughing I had found it hard to sleep and had tossed and turned most of the night.
The sharp stabbing pain in my chest didn't help. I reach over and grab my sketch pad. Opening it to the picture of Jonathan I start to draw. It was almost done. I knew it was going to be my favorite one. Distracted by none other than Jonathan. He walks in holding a teddy bear. I smile widely as he walks up next to me.

"I saw this guy in the gift shop. And I thought he looked lonely. I smile as I take it. He brown eyes hold hope as I do. And for a second I ant to tell him what Dr Robins said. That I only have weeks left. But I don't not yet. He sits down next to me.

"Thank you Jonathan. I love him already." I say softly. He smiles and my heart shatters in my chest. He had no clue how much this hurt me. I wanted to tell him. But at the same time I knew that it would hurt him more.

"Okay so I have a super important question." He says sitting up. "Would you want to meet Cassidy today?"

He looks so hopeful. I smile widely.
"I would love to see her."

He'd left to go pick her up so I sit in the bed waiting. I was scared to meet her. I knew I shouldn't be but, what if she didn't like me? Would that affect how Jonathan feels about me? Stop over thinking Jenna. I scorn myself.
Jonathan walks in holding a little girls hand.

She looks like Jonathan. She has his brown eyes and curly hair. It's put in pigtails that I can't help but find adorable.
"Hey Cassidy, my name's Jenna I'm your daddy's friend."
She smiles like she already knows who I am.

"Daddy's been talking about you to Mrs Leanna." She says walking closer to me.

I find it easy to talk to her. I was an only child so I never got the chance to interact with children often. I laugh with her as she tells a story about Jonathan and her playing. Dr Robbins knocks on the door. Smiling at me and Cassidy she steps in.

"Sorry to interrupt but me and Cassidy have to get home for dinner."
Cassidy frowns as she climbs of the bed and walks to Dr Robbins.
"Thanks for playing with me Ms Jenna." She says before her and Dr Robbins leave. Jonathan walks in.

"Where did you go?" I ask cause I don't remember him leaving. He walks up next to me and, extends his hand before answering.

"To set up our date." He helps me sit up. Then he helps me to a wheelchair.

"How did you set up a date?" I ask as he pushes me out of the door. Turning a corner he smiles.

"I realized that a date isn't where you are, but who your with." And with that he wheels me away to our second date.