27

Jonathan

I walk into the hospital with roses in my hand and a smile on my face. Turning the corner I see Dr Robbins. Only tears stream down her face. When she looks at me my whole world seems to stop. She shakes her head. I feel the tears falling down my face but they seem distant. I don't stop though. I run to her room at the end of the hall. But I find it empty. She was gone. The roses fall out of my hand first. Then I feel my knees hit the cold floor. I can smell the sterile smell of the hospital but it like my tears, it's seems distant.

I feel someone set their hand on my shoulder and turn to see Jenna's Dad. His face is red from crying. Behind him stands Jenna's Mom, her face to is red. Her Dad bends down next to me.

"I'm sorry son. We were about to call you. Dr Robbins said that she went peacefully." He says. I shake my head. I didn't care if she went peacefully. She should be here with me. Then like a brick it hits me in the stomach.
She was gone. The sterile smell of the hospital seems to invade my nose. Mocking me. Death, death again. It seems to taunt me.

I remember when I first met her. Or our first date. When she seemed to care when no one else did. How she invited me to church. How she really just wanted to show God's love.
Our first kiss. That had happened just last night. Only last night she had been in my arms. And now, she was gone. Gone, that was such a weird word. I knew she was in heaven now. But all the same I wanted her here. I guess that sounds selfish but I did.

I Jonathan Cooper wanted to have Jenna Thompson with me. Eventually I find the strength to stand. I look at the flowers that lay forgotten on the hospital floor. Deciding I didn't have that kind of strength I left them there.
I turn to look at her parents. Looking at them now I can see her. In her mom's curly red hair and her dad's blue eyes. It makes the pain hit my in the stomach again. As if seeing my pain her mom steps forward and wraps me in a hug. The tears that had slowed came back in a rush. She was really gone.

Eventually we do have to leave the hospital. I say goodbye to her parents and turn to go collect her belongings.
When I turn to look at her parents. I watch as they walk away hand in hand. I knew Jenna wouldn't see this but I knew if she could she would smile. And since she can't I smile for her. If she did one thing she brought her parents back together. I walk into the room. I collect the nick nacks she had laying around, but for some reason I can't find her drawing pad. Giving up o go to also Dr Robbins.

"Dr Robbins?" I ask walking up behind her. She turns to look at me and I catch the look of pity that crosses her face.

"Yeah?" She says. I remember how four year's ago we had cried together at the loss of Natasha. But somehow I still remember what she told me then.

She's not gone Jonathan. She went home.

Then I thought she was crazy. She wasn't home. But now I knew what she meant.
"I couldn't find Jenna's sketch pad, and was wondering if you knew where it was."

"Her parents took it." She answered before turning back to the paperwork she was signing. I nod before turning around. I pick up the small back and head to my car. The drive home was a blur. I don't remember it now. When I did get home I just sat down on the couch. I understand for the first time what people mean when they say that the people you love are never gone. I knew a piece of her was with her parents, one with doctor Robbins, one with her best friend Abby, and one stayed with me. And until I saw her in heaven I would hold onto that little piece.

☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕☕

Yeah I know. This is so sad. But on the bright side he still has a piece of her.