28

Jonathan

I sit in the pew. Her dad stands up and walks to the front. Clearing his throat he starts his speech.

"Jenna was never a normal girl. From the time she was really little. I remember once when she was eight or so she came up to me. And in her little hands she held this little tiny caterpillar. She'd found it on the ground, and she'd been scared that it would get hurt. I do have to admit that the last few years me and her drifted apart. But by God grace we made amends the night before she died. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, Jenna is the kind of person that we could all learn from. She cared about you no matter who you were.
Well I mean if you need proof she befriended Mr Cooper over here.
If we can't learn to forgive like Jenna could then I guess we're all lost."

With that he leaves the stage. It was my turn now. Getting up I walk to the front of the stage. I pull my notes out of my jacket pocket. Looking over them I put them back.

"I prepared a speech for tonight but I don't think it will do justice." Glancing towards where Jenna's parents sit alongside Dr Robbins and Cassidy I clear my throat.
"My name is Jonathan Cooper. But this isn't about me. It's about Jenna. When I first met her I was in a real bad place. I was partying away my life. Going from one girl to another.
But when I met Jenna her forgiveness saved me." Again the image of Jenna the first night I met her flashes across my vision.
"I didn't deserve forgiveness. What u had done was horrible, but somehow Jenna saw through my outside mess.
She gave my the true definition of a second chance. Jenna wasn't perfect. She just reflected her savior. That's what made the difference. She didn't try to be different on her own. She lived in Christ." Again my times with Jenna flash through my mind.
"I'm not going to try to put her into this speech. That would be impossible. Her love for God was to good."

With that I walk down from the stage. I want to say so much more, but she wasn't small enough to put here today. I look at the crowd as I walk,and notice Abby. Her eyes are red from crying, and circles are under her eyes. We don't say anything, but we seem to share the same message. She was still with us. Without thinking I walk back to the the stage.

"I have one last thing to say. Jenna's not gone. Jenna is still here. Because when Jenna loved someone she gave a piece of her heart. There's a piece of her with her parents, She left a piece with Abby." I nod towards them as I say their names.
"With doctor Robbins, she left a piece with me. And until we see her on the other side we have to hold on to that little piece."

Fresh tears run down her parents faces. I sit down and feel the tears fall down my own. The rest of the funeral is short. The drive to the grave yard is short and so is the burial. I stand staring at her grave long after everyone has left. I feel a small hand on my shoulder and turn to see Abby.

"What you said today about her being with us, it was true. She would've wanted you to know that." She turns and walks away. I still stand out there though. The cold winter air nips at my clothes and face. The cold blue sky seems to reflect my emotions. Cold and distant. Bending down Infront of the grave I say my last goodbye.

"Goodbye Jenna. Until we meet again." I down look back as I walk to my car. Not as I start it and drive away.