Chapter Thirty

~Noelle's POV~

"No, that's exactly why... I thought I explained this. I can't bring Angie back to school, and that's why lesson plans were being emailed to us, so I could teach her from home... no... because it isn't safe for her to be without me, or one of her guardians!"

"Ooh, guardian, that sounds fancy."

"Now isn't the time to mock, Stark."

"You're living here rent free. And I wasn't mocking."

I held a hand over my phone, and hissed at Loki and Tony who were loudly discussing my call to Angie's school. "Will you two just give me five minutes?"

"Noelle, we have discussed Angie's welfare. I am well aware of your situation, and it is because of this that I made the call to social services."

"But I'm not a bad mother!"

"I am not debating that." The headteacher was annoyingly calm, her voice steady and slow as she spoke. "I just think you need some extra support."

I forced myself to take a deep breath. "Thank you for letting me know. I need to go now."

I didn't wait for her to reply. I hung up, and forced the wavering lump back down my throat. My nose was stinging, the tell tale that I would begin crying soon.

"I need to get Angie ready for school."

"I thought she wasn't going. Have you changed your mind?"

I spun to face Tony, his genuine confusion plastered across his face.

"No, I've not changed my mind. She's having school here. I'll... find a tutor. Once I have one, she can still learn on this floor, I found an office Steve used. And for now, I will keep waking her up and getting her dressed, and she will have a full school day with me."

I left them in the living room on Steve's floor, and let myself into the bedroom. Angie was still fast asleep, and I took a few moments to take a deep breath, and watch the covers fall and rise with each of her breaths.

I wiped my burning cheeks, steadied my shaking hands, and gently patted her shoulder. "Angie, time to wake up."

She grumbled as she rolled onto her back, her eyes squinting as she yawned. Her small hands waved up in the air as she stretched, and she gradually became aware of the room around her.

"Good morning Mummy."

"Good morning Angie." I leant over and kissed her cheek as I pulled the blankets off her. "Choose what you want to wear today, and then we'll have our breakfast and get dressed."

"M'kay," her reply was lost in another huge yawn, as she clambered out of bed and walked to the two drawers that were filled with her clothes.

I kept the door open as I walked to the kitchen. I had to cross the open plan living room, where the two men were still sitting.

Loki leapt to his feet when he saw me, and followed me silently. He slid onto a chair at the island, and watched as I poured a bowl of coco pops and sliced an apple.

"Loki, I really can't deal with you and Tony-"

"I'll tutor her today."

I turned to face him, the knife I was holding still in my palm. "What?"

"Go and talk to Steve-"

"You do understand he won't reply-"

"Tell the girls father what is happening. He will be conscious inside, and would like to know what's happening."