Chapter Sixteen

~Noelle's POV~

I woke up in Steve's arms, and relaxed back into his chest. His fingers were sleepily trailing over my stomach, gently tracing patterns through the pyjama top I wore.

I froze.

He was stroking my stomach.

I hadn't told him about the pregnancy test. I tried convincing myself it was because I didn't know how he would react, but in truth it was because I was scared.

He noticed I had tensed, and lifted his hands to gently hold my arms. "Noelle?" He whispered softly.

I rolled over, and lay my head on his shoulder. "I'm tired," I smiled weakly.

His eyes narrowed, and I saw him trying to figure out what was wrong with me. It wasn't a lie: I was tired - I was tired all the time. It didn't help that a first sign of pregnancy was fatigue: I couldn't stop yawning or nodding off in the evenings.

I sluggishly lifted my hand to cup his cheek, and I felt his beard graze my palm. He tilted his chin, kissing my hand softly before leaning away. "Stay in bed for a couple more minutes, I'll get Angie sorted for school."

"Are you sure?" I watched as he nodded, slipping out of bed in the loose sweatpants he wore to sleep in. I let my eyes drift over his defined body, almost drooling at his arms as he adjusted his top to cover his midriff.

"Of course I am doll," he smiled, "You're on bed rest remember?"

He was out of the door before I could reply, and I groaned as I fell back onto the pillows. I wasn't enjoying the days off from work, even if it wasn't bed rest, as I was left with nothing to distract me from the possibility of baby Steve growing inside me.

I would clean the apartment, tidying up after Angie's playtimes and wash the dishes so they wouldn't clutter the worktops, but my mind was still fixated on the maybe-baby.

I was beginning to get out of bed, surrendering to the cold air, when Steve opened the door. His face was ashen, terror etched into his skin.

I instinctively stepped closer, desperate yet hesitant to ask what was wrong. "Steve-?"

His mouth opened, his voice dry as he aimlessly lifted his hand up, showing his phone. "That was Peggy's family."

I felt my heart clench as I realised where this was heading.

"She's been taken ill... they think it's pretty close to the end." He gulped, "she's asking to see me."

I took the final step towards him, closing the gap that separated us, and wrapped my arms around his muscled frame. "Are you going to be okay to drive there? Do you want me to come with you?"

He shook his head, "I'll be okay."

"You don't have to lie to me Steve. If you're not okay then tell me."

His jaw clenched as he squeezed his eyes shut, holding my cheeks so he could press his lips against my forehead. "I love you."

I smiled, and held his hand that was still cupping my face. "I know sweetheart, I love you too."

I walked him to the door, and watched as he swung Angie around in a bear hug before kissing us both goodbye and sprinting away.

I knew what that felt like. Receiving a call to say it was close to the end of your soulmates life.

I shut the door behind him, letting Luke fill my mind as I placed two slices of bread into the toaster.

Angie pattered behind me, aware something wasn't quite right from the speed Steve had taken off at. I let her follow me around the house, and made sure she was sat properly on the bed so she wouldn't bounce off as I looked for a shirt to wear to take her to school.