Chapter Twenty

~Noelles POV~

Steve's hand gripped mine, as he expertly twisted Angie's body so her face was pressed against his chest, shielding her from view.

"Eyes down, walk quickly." He muttered. He walked down the steps, helping me with his hand wrapped firmly around mine, and then marched us past the wall of cameras to the car.

Individual people ran up to us as he swung the side door open to strap Angie into her seat, checking she was okay before he closed the door and made sure I was safely in the car. Then he sped to the drivers seat, and within seconds of his door slamming shut, we were on the road.

My heart was pounding, a sickening twisting churning from my stomach to my throat as Angie sat silently in the back of the car. She looked thoughtful, as her eyes drifted to the window.

Steve was silent too. But he wasn't carefully pondering his playtime like Angie - this silence was angry and frustrated, a tension thickening as his hands gripped the steering wheel.

I forced my breathing to slow, before I twisted in my chair to smile at Angie. "Are you okay darling?"

"You were crying." She looked at me, waiting for my reply as I tried not to sigh.

"Yes, but I'm okay now."

"Were you crying because of those men?"

I shook my head. "No, I'm not crying because of those men."

"Then why?"

Steve cleared his throat, "Mum is just tired Angie. The baby wants all of Mummy's energy to grow big and strong like you, but they have to take it from Mummy."

"Oh," she smiled at his answer "okay."

"Thank you." I mouthed at Steve when he spared me a glance from the road. "But Angie-?"

"Are we really going to see Mister America?"

I laughed, "Yes we are."

"And Dr Bruce?"

"And Dr Bruce." I confirmed. "But it's a surprise."

"Really?" Her face scrunched in excitement, and I could practically see her plotting on how to surprise her two favourite heroes.

"We're going to have a sleepover at the Tower, would you like that?" Steve questioned, his eyes flicking to the mirror so he could see Angie's reaction.

She squealed in delight, and twisted in her chair as she tried to dance, her energy bouncing back up to full levels.

"Is there space for us?"

Steve pulled up to a traffic light, a smile twitching the side of his lips. "Is the Tower not big enough?"

I rolled my eyes, "you know what I mean. Do we have a bed, we haven't got any clothes... Angie hadn't got anything!"

"There are enough beds on my floor, and you can wear my pyjamas tonight if you want."

I did want.

"And Clint has a few clothes of his daughters - the oldest is too big for them now but his youngest is around Angie's age, he'll have some clothes if she wants to borrow them. I can always wash these and she can wear them back to school tomorrow."

"Spiderman!" Angie yelled, her hands pressed flat against the window of the car as we drove past the dressed up webslinger as he climbed up the glass walls of the Tower building. "Mummy!"

"I know!" I grinned at her, as Steve turned the car and we drove down into an underground car park. "Maybe you can meet him later."

"Really?" Her eyes widened. "Wow."