Chapter Thirty Two

~Noelle's POV~

"You aren't currently working, is that right?"

I blinked, and stared at the Chair of the meeting. The man that would be collecting everyones opinions of me, and making the choice for the steps moving forward.

Merrin gave me an encouraging smile. I'd been wary of her initially - a social worker felt like an enemy - but she had genuinely supported me and I now felt brave enough to answer the worlds most obvious question.

"I'm not currently working, but I am still being paid for the duration of my maternity leave." I explained.

"And you're still living at," he perused a sheet of paper in front of him, "the Avengers tower."

"Yes." I kept my clenched fists under the table, trying to calm my irritated nerves. "There is more support for Angie and I at the Tower. There was evidence that the apartment we lived in was being watched, and in my third trimester I'm finding it easier having the help of friends, like any other family."

The professionals sat around the table looked empathetic. Luckily, the majority of them supported me well, and all liked Angie. I read their reports and they liked me too - I was a 'special case' due to Steve being Captain America and currently recovering in hospital. In any other situation I wouldn't be safe in  meeting room filled with people examining everything I did.

"Steve, your soulmate, is due to leave hospital soon then?"

I nodded, "I'm helping him come home this afternoon actually, after this meeting."

A doctor from the hospital was sat opposite me, and leant forward to fill in the gaps on Steve's recovery and how the support will continue when he's back at the Tower. A lot of physio and check ups, but he won't be stuck in a hospital bed.

The meeting lasted an hour and a half in total.

A very long, very informative, hour and a half. I had several pages of my notebook filled with scribbled notes, answers to my questions, and suggestions for Angie's wellbeing.

We were standing up  packing our bags and beginning to file out of the room as a woman approached me from the other side of the table. "I'll be looking for Angie on Monday morning." I had never met her before, but she seemed kind.

She specialised in children's safety and wellbeing in the school, and the children who were currently on plans like this had to go to her office for a check in every few weeks.

She was polite and smiling as she explained the lessons Angie was being taught before I pulled her from classes, and the support she could offer so she could catch up.

"We'll be there. On time. And Tony said he would reach out about the security equipment, he's in meetings today but is free tomorrow morning to meet with the school." Tony had given me a list with detailed security equipment and tech he could use to ensure the school is safe - for every child, not just Angie.

"Tell him thank you again, from us." She walked away after that, rushing as her phone began ringing and she scrambled to answer it on her way.

"You did good," Merrin smiled gently, "really good. Do you need a lift to the hospital?"

I shook my head, "Natasha is picking me up, she's got the van for Steve."

"Of course," her voice was empathetic but not condescending, and I was infinitely grateful for her silence as she walked me to the door, and held it open for me to walk through, "good luck."

Nat was perched on the hood of the van she had borrowed from a friend, eyes smiling as I approached. She slid off the top, and pulled the drivers seat door open as I walked round to the passenger side. "Good meeting?"