Chapter Nineteen

~Noelles POV~

"Steve-"

"I'm just saying, I'm worried it will happen again. I know you don't want to do it but the Doctor wrote you off work for a reason."

I pouted, grumpy from his words. I didn't want to hand in my pregnancy leave - most people I knew worked up until at least the eighth month and then had between six months and a year off. Some people had even less.

Steve frowned, "Noelle, you fainted in our home with Angie being the only person around-"

"I know!" I snapped, "I know, funnily enough Steve, I was there!"

He stepped back, looking hurt at my words. I instantly felt terrible, and reached out to hold onto his hand. "I'm sorry," I whispered. "I'm sorry, I just don't know how I'm meant to spend the next six months without working."

"I know." He wrapped his arms around me, and I stepped fully into his embrace. "I know doll, but we will be okay. You will be okay. You can still go down to the office but I'm siding with the Doctor on this one. No work."

I nodded into his chest, before the frequent pressure in my bladder called out for attention. "Move Rogers, I need a wee."

He obligingly stepped to the side, and called after me, "again?"

"This is your fault!" I closed the door, and felt a weight lift from my body as I relived myself. I washed my hands and met him by the door, his brows furrowed in a look of deep concentration.

"Steve?" I poked his arm, "What's wrong?"

His mouth parted, his words failing him. "Is this my fault?"

I stared at him, confused. "Is what your fault?"

"The baby." He whispered. "This is only just the twelfth week - you said when you were pregnant with Angie you had barely any symptoms of being pregnant at this stage, but now... you're sick all the time, you fainted-"

"That was the diabetes Steve," I broke in, "loads of women get type 2 when they're pregnant."

"Right," he sighed, "but... the mood swings? You've been complaining about having a stuffy nose, you were almost sick when we passed that guy smoking the other day."

I felt tears prick my eyes, as the tiredness washed over me. "They shouldn't smoke, it smells so bad." I sniffed, "It might be more difficult this time round Steve but I don't regret making a child with you."

He wiped at his own eyes, "but-"

"No." I grabbed his face, and kissed him as he began coming up with reasons to make himself feel guilty for my body's reactions to having a baby.

He kissed me back, then pulled away to brush my hair behind my ear. "I'm in love with you." He whispered, before kissing me softly.

I hummed, and held his hand as we walked down to the car. "I'm in love with you too."

"And you're sure you're okay to hand in this notice by yourself?" He double checked as he drove us through the busy streets.

I nodded, and peered out the window. "I've been with them for years Steve. Dani already knows I'm pregnant, even though we weren't technically meant to tell anybody until this week. They'll be fine. They'll make a fuss," I admitted, "but they'll be fine."

"Who knows now?" Steve flicked the indicator as we came to a stop at a set of traffic lights, just before our turning. "Bucky, Summer - the whole of Luke's family actually, and Dani?"

"I think so," I yawned. "And Angie."

Steve glanced at me. "Maybe I should take you back home after. It sounds like you need to rest."