Chapter Fifteen

~Noelle's POV~

Pregnant.

Pregnant.

Shit-!

I was sat on the toilet, trousers pulled around my ankles with the pregnancy stick held between my hands. I felt sick, not from what could possibly be morning sickness, but a sudden overwhelming fear of panic.

I only took the test because my period was late. I was never regular, but after mine and Steve's recent steamy nights together I thought it would be a simple way to reassure myself I wasn't with child, but I turned out stressing more.

Steve was in the kitchen making a picnic for us to eat in the car on the way to visit my family, and the proximity of him being in the flat suddenly pressed down on my chest. I couldn't tell him now.

Soft thuds signalling his footsteps marched down the hall, growing slower until two hesitant knocks sounded on the door. His voice was gentle as he called through the wood. "Are you okay Elle?"

I gulped, staring at the two lines on the screen of the test. "Yeah, I'm fine."

He hesitated for a moment, "I've just been here a while... the picnics all done and I've finally got Angie to take off her fairy wings so she can put a cardigan on, and you've not left the bathroom. Are you sure you're alright?"

I swallowed back a worrying tear that threatened to drip down my cheek. "I'm okay Steve."

He sighed, "I understand that you're stressed about seeing your family again-"

"I promise I'm fine, I just - I have diarrhoea!" My eyes widened as I shouted through the door, and I silently screamed at my pathetic excuse. I rammed my head in my hands, groaning quietly as Steve paused.

"Oh. Right, can I do anything? Get something from the shops before we drive down?"

His helpfulness made me tear up again, and I shook my head as my throat tightened. "No, no, I'm fine. Just give me a few minutes."

"Okay doll, as long as you're okay." I buried my head in my hands as he waited a moment longer, before slowly walking back down to the kitchen where I could hear Angie singing loudly.

I wrapped the test in toilet paper, shoved it in the box and hid the whole test in the bag I brought it home in from the shop.

After washing my hands and face, to hide the red circles that threatened to expose my brief crying session, I hid the bag in the back of my chest of drawers. Steve had strong values on privacy, and I knew he wouldn't dare look through my possessions without asking me for permission first.

"Mummy!" Angie burst through the door with a plastic guitar clutched in her small hand. "Let's go!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming." I grinned, and leant down to swing her into a hug before following her down the hall.

Steve pressed a kiss to the top of my head, and gave me a dimpled smile as I blinked up at him. My heart sped up as he studied my face for a moment. "Feeling better?" He whispered.

I nodded, "I love you."

His face split back into a grin, and he squeezed my hand three times, "I love you."

"Stevie!" Angie screeched from the doorway, "let's go!"

"Someone's excited." I sighed, "Let's go."

***

Mum was waiting on the doorstep as I pulled onto the driveway. Noah and his family lived a five minute walk from their house, and both Drew and Snow were living in the attic and basement of our family home, which left a small space beside my parents cars for me to park.