Chapter Twenty One

~Noelles POV~

"Are you ready?"

Steve yanked at his tie, knotting it way too tight which caused him to wince, the tight knot now hanging at a twisted angle around his neck. "No."

"Steve..." I whispered. "No."

"But-"

"Calm down."

"But-"

"Steve."

He stared at me, then sank slowly onto the stool in the kitchen. I eased around the counter, and twisted the fabric back through itself, and smoothed it softly against his chest.

I stayed silent as I carefully tied the tie, and slid it back up his chest until it lay flat. I tucked the thin piece of fabric through his shirt, then pressed a kiss to his cheek. "Do you need a drink?"

"I can't drink." He muttered.

I bit my lip, and stared at the cupboard by the fridge. Bucky had come around the day after we moved back from the Tower to the apartment, and dropped off a small crate of Asgardian mead. I'd heard the tale of Steve getting drunk before ringing who he thought was me, but was actually Amelie.

I knew Peggy's funeral was going to be a tough day, but I'd never seen Steve this defeated before. It was breaking my heart.

"I have got a drink, I can make you a small one."

He looked at me, eyes rimmed with tears he didn't want to cry, and shook his head. "Peggy never saw me like that. A drunk."

I rested my head on his, as his arms wound around my waist. The height difference disappeared when he was sat on the stool, and I carefully draped my arms around him, attempting to hold him as best I could, although my three and a half month pregnant belly was beginning to make it difficult.

"We're going to be late." He suddenly announced, standing up abruptly from the chair with a swift nod of his head.

He marched to the door, his fitted black suit jacket slimming over his muscles, but it didn't strain. He turned back to glance at me when he realised I wasn't following.

"I don't know if I should go." I winced, playing with the end of my black coat. "I didn't know her, and everyone will try and target this as your new soulmate-"

"What?" He frowned, and marched back to me. "No, no doll, what are you saying?"

I stared up at him, "I don't know if I'm worth-"

He cut me off with a kiss, so sweet and slow that it threw me off. My head tilted back as he held me by the arms, his thumbs strumming the fabric of the sleeves before he pulled back. "Please come with me. I need you."

That was it. I nodded, and let him cling to my hand as we walked down the stairs of the building.

Peggy's family had offered him a seat in the car, but Steve had politely declined. He didn't want to be seated with her family, even if he had held the title of her soulmate. She'd had one after him, like he had me after her, and he didn't want to steal the attention away from her grieving family.

Instead, Tony picked us up. He sat in the drivers seat as Pepper sat beside him. I'd only met her briefly, as she avoided the often large gatherings of the Avengers, but she smiled fondly at me as I shimmied across the seat after Steve let me in the car first.

"Are you both okay?" She asked gently, once we were on our way.

"Fine." Steve's voice was clipped, but he hadn't let go of my hand since we'd sat down. "You?"