Chapter Nine

"Are you sure you want to tell them? Right now?"

"I need to." I muttered, slicing the buttered toast to place on Angie's plate.

"Do they know you're ringing?" Summer asked, her voice low enough that Angie couldn't hear us from her seat on the sofa.

I glanced at her over the counter that separated the kitchen and living room space, and nodded. "I told them yesterday I have important news."

Summer bit her lip, and placed her hand over mine, "it'll be okay. They knew that this was a possibility."

"They did?" I asked, looking up to stare at her. I thought there was a chance I would date again, but that was years in the future when Angie had grown up.

"Yeah, last time I spoke to them they told me that it was only a matter of time-"

"Did they sound angry? Upset?"

"No," Summer stroked my arm softly. "No, they sounded okay. Do you want me to stay here whilst you tell them?"

I shook my head, "No, it's fine. Angie said that she wanted to go to the park with you, so I'll ring them whilst your out."

Summer nodded, turning to look at Angie who was narrating her game with her toys. "I thought you said Steve would be there to tell them?"

"He's coming with me to tell my parents." I murmured, opening the fridge for some orange juice. "He said he had somewhere to be this morning. Avenger duties or something."

Summer whistled as she took Angie her breakfast, then perched on the seat in front of the counter. "I am happy for you, Elle, you know that right? Just because you've got Steve now doesn't mean you don't have us."

I tried not to cry as I listened to her. I'd been trying to think this through, and straighten my thoughts as best I could. "I feel guilty." I croaked, wiping a finger under my glasses. "I feel like I'm doing a disservice to Lukes memory."

"He would've wanted you to move on!" Summer argued. "You were 25 when he died, he wouldn't have expected you to mourn him forever more. You're allowed to be happy and Steve is your soulmate too!"

"I know." I whispered, hoping her words were enough to convince me.

"Mummy?" Angie had slid off the sofa, and pottered across the room to stand by my feet.

"Yes sweetheart?" I looked down at her as she stared at me.

"Can Stevie come for tea tonight?"

"Stevie?" Summer mouthed at me, her eyes sparkling with a smile.

I grinned at her, enjoying Angie's new nickname as much as she did. She decided she shouldn't really call him Mister America any more, but it was too soon to call him Dad - which I agreed with. She settled on Stevie, which Steve had loved the first time he'd heard it too.

"He's at work today, maybe he can come tomorrow." I squatted down, "can you go and get dressed so Auntie Summer can take you out?"

She nodded happily, and dragged her armful of toys across the room towards her bedroom.

Summer studied me for a moment, before walking around the counter and enveloping me in her arms. "I love you okay? Remember that."

I nodded into her shoulder as I wrapped my arms around her. She was always the one to stand by my side, and I was forever grateful that she had taken me under her wing.

***

I paced the living room floor. Angie and Summer had been out of the house for a while, but I couldn't bring myself to ringing my parents in law.