Chapter Seven

~Noelle's POV~

"Two lattes, a cappuccino and an English breakfast tea." The teenage girl stood up on tiptoes, leaning over the counter to call out my order.

I stood up from my chair, and collected the takeaway tray that was crowded with the collection of hot drinks. I'd been sent on a mission three hours into the days renovation, and I'd accepted. The Tower had a functioning canteen available to all workers there, but Dani, Bobby, David and I had all grown accustomed to this particular cafes selection of drinks.

"Enjoy your day." She gave me a toothy grin, making sure I balanced it carefully in my arms before I made my way to the exit.

We were a week in, and I was beginning to hate myself for not confronting Steve. After ringing his voicemail on my night out, I'd been avoiding him. Every time I saw him in or around the Tower, I snuck away.

I found myself fantasising of a life with him. I'd flicked through old news footage of him fighting during the Battle of New York, and even though it was a horrific event, I found myself becoming drawn to him dressed in the suit.

The interviews were worse. It showed a polite, well-mannered side to him that I had been witness to. He'd spoken about love and life, and how he celebrated family values, nurturing and raising the next generation on good morals and courage.

Which only made it worse when I entered the Tower a short walk later. The automatic doors slid open, and I gestured to the temporary security badge pinned to the strap of my baggy purple overalls. The security guard skimmed his eyes quickly over it, then let me through with a smile.

Steve was walking out of a doorway on the far side of the lobby area, accompanied by the short woman I recognised as the bartender from last Friday night. She caught me looking, and I quickly diverted my eyes, and hurried to the lift.

I nudged the button to call it down, and waited impatiently as he drew closer, escorting his friend to the door.

"Come on," I hissed, "hurry up."

The doors slid open, and I darted inside as quickly as I could without spilling the hot liquid all down my arms. I thought I was safe, as my hearts heavy beating began to return to normal, but then a hand stuck through the door.

I winced as they lightly bounced on the knuckles, before they reopened. And standing in the strip of light it created, was Steve Rogers himself.

I immediately shrunk into the side, holding the drinks a little tighter as if it was my way of protecting myself. Steve slid onto the opposite side, nodding at me before facing the front.

"How are you?" He asked politely.

I nodded, feeling a little stifled in the tension filled box. "I'm good thank you. And yourself?"

He smiled gently, sensing my nerves as he looked at me. "I'm good. How's Angie?"

I couldn't hide my grin at the mention of my daughter. "She's amazing." I bit my lip, and glanced up at him. "She asked after you the other day."

"Really?" He looked surprised, and moved his whole body rather than just his head.

"Her Auntie couldn't look after her, and she asked if you could pick her up from school."

His cheeks flared pink, and an embarrassed smile took over his features. "Oh."

I laughed at his flustered state, not sure how to continue the conversation in any way. He didn't attempt to continue it either, and so we settled into a semi-comfortable silence, although it was still slightly tense.