13.𝐎𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐀 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐟 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞

It had only been an hour since Mia had returned to the Salvatore Boarding House, yet she felt the sudden urge to leave again. Caroline and Bonnie had gone home so she had nothing to do except listen to the men and Elena discuss matters she was too bored to listen to. She got up from the couch and made her way to the front door, only to be stopped by Stefan.

"Where are you going?" Stefan called out, bringing every eye in the room onto Mia.

"I'm going for a walk," she smiled innocently, before he could open his mouth to object she spoke again, "I have spent the last 4 days trapped in Alaric's apartment, I need fresh air."

"You can get fresh air in the garden." Damon snapped, "We don't need you getting kidnapped again."

Mia ignored Damon and addressed Stefan instead, "Look, Klaus took my daylight ring." she showed them her hand, "So, I'm gonna be trapped here all day tomorrow." She held Stefan's arm and swayed, "Please, I'll be an hour tops." 

When he sighed and nodded she threw her arms around his neck, hugging him. "This is why you're my favourite Salvatore." Elena laughed and looked over at Damon, who had a clear look of offence on his face.

"Perhaps it would be best if someone were to accompany you." Elijah suggested, "Given the possibility you could run into Niklaus."

"Don't worry, if I see Klaus I'll just hit him again and run." Mia spoke in an nonchalant manner, shock immediately spread on all their faces upon hearing this.

"You hit Klaus?!" Elena and Damon spoke at the same time.

"Yeah," Mia shrugged, "I thought he killed Bonnie so I slapped him." Not wanting to hear a lecture from them, she opened the door, "Okay..... bye." Mia exited the house leaving the group baffled with what they'd just heard.

"She's going to get herself killed one day." Damon murmured, glancing at Elijah who wore a look of pride, he'd seen Mia as someone that needed to be protected or kept behind glass. What was more impressive was that he'd never heard of a regular vampire slapping his brother and living to tell the tale.

~~~~

Mia was sat on her favourite bench across the street from the Grill, she laid her head down and closed her eyes, revelling in the peace. However, that tranquillity was short lived when a voice spoke up.

"Mind if I join you?", she opened her eyes and peered through her lashes at Klaus stood in front of her.

"It hasn't even been 2 hours yet." Mia sighed exasperatedly, "You know, there's something called a restraining order that can legally stop you from coming near me."

"Really?" he tilted his head to the side with a smirk on his face, " You'll need a good lawyer for that."

"It's fine, I can just use Elijah." Mia brushed off, missing the look of annoyance flash in Klaus' eyes. It bothered him that Elijah had found a way to befriend Mia, it seemed that he always managed to entangle himself in Klaus' personal affairs.