23.𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐔𝐧𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐚𝐥

"Stef, can we sit down and rest for a minute?" Mia huffed, the two were on one of their occasional hunts. Hunts meaning Stefan would stalk down defenceless animals whilst Mia scared them away in order to make the chase harder for him. She liked to call it "giving him a challenge." He liked to call it her way of "hinting he should diet."

"You're not even walking." Stefan glanced over his shoulder at the girl he was carrying on his back. This wasn't uncommon for them. Every time, after half an hour, Mia would get tired and Stefan would have to drag her the rest of the way. But he didn't mind, if anything he actually liked doing it.

"I'm exhausted for you, it's been an hour and you still haven't found anything." It was the day of the sacrifice so Stefan needed all the strength he could muster, he found his hunts were more enjoyable when Mia would accompany him. She'd had an explosive argument with Damon the night prior. Stefan wouldn't tell her but he'd heard her crying in her room, the sound causing his heart to wrench. So he just wanted to show her that he didn't agree with Damon's theories that she would betray them.

"Wait." Stefan paused, the sight of a deer speeding past them caught his attention. He ducked down rapidly almost making Mia slide off his back. Once he realised, he immediately stood up straight. "Sorry." He smiled sheepishly when she glared at him.

"What the fuck!" Mia exclaimed, "My skull could've smashed open, I'd be dead and it would be your fault." She got off him and began walking away, smirking because she knew he'd chase after her. "Clumsy motherfucker."

"Wait." He strolled beside her, putting his arm over her shoulder but she pretended not to care and continued looking ahead. Because of this, she hadn't noticed the large branch on the ground, causing her to trip.

She closed her eyes, bracing herself for the impact, however, was yet to hit the floor. A pair of strong hands latched onto her waist, he pulled her up, holding her back against his chest. "Your skull could've smashed open, you'd be dead and it would've been your own fault." Mia felt his breath fan across her cheek as he leaned in closer to whisper, "Clumsy motherfucker."

Her jaw dropped slightly at the fact he cursed at her but was also happy that he felt secure enough with her to let down his guard. "I fucking hate you." Mia chuckled, elbowing him in the stomach. They carried on walking for a while until the younger Salvatore had spotted a bunny, nuzzling beside a tree.

Mia sensed what the vampire was about to do and grabbed his arm, pulling him away from the animal's direction, "No, it's a baby. Just an innocent child!" Stefan struggled against her hold, confused by her unexpected strength, "Run, Thumper, Run!" Her shouts startled the bunny and it scarpered.

Stefan turned to her with an unamused look which quickly turned into a smile once he'd seen her grin. "I need to feed."

"You still can, look." She pointed to a larger rabbit that appeared to be on its last day. "Put him out of his misery instead of chasing the infants. It's old...like you...and your car."