𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓.

Marcella De' Luca

Marcella De' Luca

I hated events like this.

They were so boring and kids my age used any excuse to sneak off.

Mark had followed after Noelle a few minutes after she'd left to use the bathroom.

They hadn't been back.

Monet and Stefano politely excused themselves about five minutes ago.

Violeta and Maverick were out dancing to a slow song that was on.

That left me with Karter because Astrid and Portia had also run off.

" So how's life Celly?" Karter asked.

I snorted. "It's been a while since I've heard that one." I shake my head, bringing my straw to my lips.

Karter smiled, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "It has been a while hasn't it?"

I nodded in answer, swallowing down the fruity drink.

"Crazy how we all grew up and grew apart. And now my best friend is... dating your cousin?" She asked, not entirely sure how to describe Stefano and Monet's relationship.

I wasn't sure myself what they were either. I was just as confused as Karter. All I cared about was Stefano's happiness and Monet made him happy.

" Crazy right?" I laughed and placed my drink on the table.

Karter's brows raised as she looked elsewhere." You have no idea."

Clearly she knew something that I didn't but I wasn't going to pry. Knowing Stefano, it wouldn't take much to get him to spill.

" How are you? How are things going with Derrick?" I asked, wanting to catch up on her life a little bit.

Karter looks away, biting her lip as she contemplates her response. She looked conflicted between what to say at the moment.

" I mean it's great... I think." Karter looks down at her fingers, running her thumb over the emerald stone setting in the center of the ring on her thumb. " I just can't decide if he's being friendly or if he's actually into me."

Karter was sweet. She wouldn't hurt a fly.

But sometimes that sweetness was what got her the wrong guys. They assumed that that sweetness was equivalent to being naive and she was far from naive.

I didn't see Derrick as one of those guys though. He seemed to be genuinely into Karter from the few interactions that I had seen with the two of them.

" Karter," I spoke her name." I think I speak for everyone when I say that we all see the genuine intentions that Derrick has for you. There's nothing for you to worry about. He's just as into you as you are him, maybe even more."