𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟖.

Marc Anthonie

Marc Anthonie

I was freezing my balls off as I approached the front doorstep of the Dupont residence. A tray of pumpkin spice muffins in my hands because the organic strawberries that I used for Noelle's muffins weren't in season.

Pumpkin spice seemed festive enough given that it was close to thanksgiving and starbucks was still on their annual pumpkin spice bullshit.

Did Noelle even like pumpkin spice? I should've gone with the almond croissant recipe instead.

When starting up my relationship with Noelle, I did not foresee myself baking her baked goods every week after making her strawberry muffins the first time.

However, the smile on her face and the way her eyes widened when she ate the surprisingly edible muffins created one of the unhealthiest addictions known to mankind.

So here I stood, on her front door step with her baker's dozen of the week.

Baking was surprisingly therapeutic and another excuse to spend more time with Calliope. She loved helping me out every Thursday night.

It was important for me to share a bond with my sister. We were eight years apart but that didn't matter to me. I didn't want her to ever grow up and feel like I didn't like or love her with every bone in my body.

Plus, our parents would never allow us to not have a relationship.

I'm also more than positive that mom was pregnant again which meant another big age gap between me and a possible sibling.

The front door swings open revealing a smiling Oceane. "Right on time," she says, perching her hand on her silk pajama clad hip.

Her curly hair was pulled back into two french braids, a few pieces of curls didn't make the cut and framed her face. Her feet were covered in fluffy slippers and a black silk robe hung over her cream long sleeve silk button down and matching pajama pants.

" Good evening Mrs. Dupont," I greet, shuffling into the house and almost missing the indecipherable emotion that flashes in her eyes before she forces a smile to her face.

" Please Marc, call me Oceane." She moves to take the tray of muffins from my hands to allow me to remove my puffer coat. With the help of a live-in maid, it's put into the coat closet and I pick my duffel bag up as I follow Oceane into the kitchen int time to see her place a muffin on a plate and heat it up for Noelle.

" Thank you Marc."

Oceane chuckles at my puzzled expression as to why she was thanking me. I hadn't really done anything to be thanked for. " For bringing the smile back to my Noelle's face," she clarifies.

" She hasn't been this happy since her accident. It seems as if she's come alive again since meeting you. For that, I can't thank you enough."

I smile as she pushes the plate with Noelle's muffin towards me. " There's no need to thank me. I'm just doing my duties in order to qualify for the boyfriend of the year award."