𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝟎.

Marcella

Marcella

" We are going to lose this game tonight," Karter said as we stood on the sidelines of what could be the last game of the season.

We sucked this playoff season, and that was no surprise there considering that our quarterback sucked as a player and a human being. It truly surprised me that we even made it this far past the regular season. It looked like that was all coming to an end tonight.

" I hope we do," I responded, shaking my pom-poms as I stood on this ridiculous ass box. " I don't know how much more team spirit I can muster up."

Monet faced me, an eerie fake smile plastered on her face. I wonder if it was as painful for her to wear as it was for me to witness?  " Join the club. At least you don't have to cheer for your mentally deranged ex-boyfriend."

Harrison had seemed to get worse, especially if the rumor that he spread regarding Monet and Stefano calling him while having sex was true. Of course it was true, that entire idea screamed a Stefano shenanigan but no one else believed Harrison. He was the jealous ex after all.

" Suck it up buttercup," Karter grins, and unlike mine and Monet's, hers was genuine. " We still have basketball season."

Why did I agree to do this again?

" Oh joy!" I groaned.

" We'll work on that enthusiasm." I loved Karter and her enthusiasm to support a bunch of meatheads and their love for tackling and catching a ball, but this was all she was getting from me. The occasional " go cougars" or whatever the fuck our team mascot was, and a killer halftime perfromance. That was as much enthusiasm that I was willing to offer.

In the midst of our conversation, a roar of outrage comes from the our side of the field as Harrsion fumbles the ball, allowing the other team to steal it and make a run down the field. Poor Freddy was out on the bench due to a sprained ankle that he got early on in the game, he looked so defeated. Derrick on the other hand was trying his hardest to win us this game but how could he when the quarterback didn't even want to win himself.

If I felt bad, it was solely for those two. Luckily for them both, their last year of football wouldn't have been for nothing. Freddy and Derrick both had scouts watching them throughout the season, and rumor has it that they were planning to commit to Oregon.

To get the home team back in fighting spirits, Monet called out a cheer. Sighing, I rolled my eyes and rattled my pom-poms as I chanted the sheer with a forced smile on my face.

The game ended with a massive loss for our team and yet another blow to Harrison's massive ego this week. As the players came off of the field, Monet, Karter, and I waited for Freddy and Derrick before joining the rest of the team in the locker room.

" There's my favorite cripple," I patted Freddy's shoulder, immediately recoiling at the feel of damp fabric from his sweat.

Freddy hooks an arm around my neck and planted a fat smooch on my forehead. " You did good tonight for someone who clearly didn't want to be there," he says, a soft hiss following as he takes a step on his injured foot.