S2. Part sixteen

This chapter is from Mase's POV, just to make it abit more interesting 🥰

"Babe, I really think we should give a local hospital a call. Is it normal to be in this much pain? Are you starting labour?" I sighed, stroking my wife's head as she rested it against my chest, cupping her stomach under the duvet as I used my finger tips to draw circles on her side. I truly hoped she'd agree, for her sake, for our sons sake, and for my worries. But I knew she'd find a way to disagree. This was confirmed as I felt her shake her head.
"I'm fine, Mase, I just had some cramps which is perfectly normal. I'm not due for another two weeks, so it's definitely not labour. It's probably just the bruises on my stomach heeling from-" I heard her voice break slightly as she stopped to take a breath.
"Don't say it, we don't need to think about her anymore. She's gone now, she's locked up for long enough to not be our concern anymore," I placed a kiss on her head, feeling her nod, still somewhat tense.
"I just need a good night sleep and I'm sure I'll be fine tomorrow," Mouse yawned adorably, resting her hand on my chest. I took it in mine and raised it to my mouth, placing a kiss on it. To an outsider, I imagined our relationship very much still looked early days - honeymoon period times. By the amount of love and lust I felt daily for her, the constant displays of affection that I couldn't resist from. And yet here we were, almost a year into our marriage with a baby on the way. I smiled to myself, taking in a deep breath and embracing the smell of her hair that was against my chest. I truly loved her, and I already loved our son too.

I felt her softly breathing as he body relaxed, beginning to un tense her muscles as she rested one arm and leg over me, her head tucked between my neck and my shoulder. I, on the other hand, had a whirlwind in my brain. As she lay innocently against me, I couldn't help but feel a tear trickle down my cheek. I wasn't sad, I was so happy. But i was also so scared. Through our whole relationship, I had always been the strong one. The one to hold her hair back when she was unwell, the one to rub her back when she cried, the one to hold her tight when she was anxious, the one to protect her heart with my own. And I wouldn't have had it any other way - she was my angel. But I couldn't protect her from the inevitable pain of labour that she would face soon, I couldn't protect her from the wounds that she already had causing her pain daily, I couldn't protect him every day of his life. I was scared, admittedly petrified. I sniffed, placing my face against her head as I sobbed slightly.
"Masey? Are you ok, my love?" I heard a sweet whisper. The room was dark, but I could feel her head move enough to know her eyes were now looking up to me. To my relief, the moonlight shone faintly tonight, meaning I knew she couldn't see my bloodshot eyes and tear stained cheeks.
"I'm okay, baby girl. Get yourself to sleep," I sniffed, placing a kiss deeply on her forehead for what felt like a long time.
"Then why do I have a puddle in my hair?" She giggled slightly, moving her hand from my chest and running it through her hair. My heart warmed. I took a moment to debate on what to say. But I couldn't lie to her, so I could only say what I felt.
"I'm just, I'm really scared, Maeve. I feel like I've spent the past year wrapping you up in cotton wool, which I mean clearly hasn't worked because of, you know," I stopped, stroking her arm where the cuts and bruises were from her. "But I can't protect you from what's to come, the pain you'll be feeling and the sleepless nights to come, and what if I cant protect him well enough? I don't want to fail as a dad, or a husband,"
"Mason, shh. You're getting yourself worked up, and that's ok. If you need to let it all out then I'm here. But please, please don't ever feel like you are going to fail anyone. Not me, not him. Mase I don't know where I'd be without you, since the day you worked into my life you've made me feel things I've never felt before, and that's as a friend, a boyfriend, and now a husband. Not as a security I pay to protect me constantly. Aslong as I've got you by my side, I couldn't ask any more from you." By this point, she had sat up and was straddled across my lap as I rested my head against the headboard, my eyes fixed on her as I felt my cheeks smirk, my hands resting on her thighs. I was so lucky.
"And believe me, darling, he will love you. He will adore you with his whole little heart, just like his mummy does. And just like Summer does, and like everyone does. You don't need to overthink anything, you're perfect as you are." Maeve's voice croaked slightly as though she was welling up, as I felt her soft lips place a kiss against my forehead. My heart felt so warm, so full. How had I ever got this blessed in life? A single tear of happiness fell as my eyes adjusted to the darkness, finally meeting her own.
"I love you so much," I whispered, shaking my head in disbelief.
"I love you so much more."

After that conversation, I drifted off to a peaceful happy sleep, my arms wrapped around her waist, my hands resting on her bump as she had shuffled closely into me, our body heat creating a perfect warmth. As I rested my hand, I was awoken when I felt a tiny kick inside her stomach. It wasn't unusual, but I still adored every little kick I felt. Hé was very active that night, really making his presence known to me. I took this as reassurance of our earlier conversation. Our own little boy that would look up to us. A smile formed on my face as I closed my eyes again. I felt a single kick, however this one caused a gasp to exit my sleeping wife.
"Baby? Are you ok?" I quickly whispered.
"Oh my god, Mase, my stomach," she sat up immediately, cradling her bump.
"It's okay it's okay, he's just kicking. It might be hurting your bruise but it'll be okay," I sat up beside her, moving a piece of hair behind her ear. And then, the words that made my heart drop.
"No mase, it's not that. Somethings wrong."