S2. Part twenty one

Bittersweet tears repeatedly fell from Masons eyes as he paced the waiting room.
"Mase man, I get your anxious but you're making me feel motion sick to watch," Jude chuckled slightly, sitting up in the waiting room seat with his foot tapping anxiously against the floor. He was the only one apart from Mase that was still awake, the rest of the boys having collapsed in some new found relief once Mason had told them she had opened her eyes, and spoken, and understood him. A simple step that only moments ago seemed like it may never happen again. Dec lay with his head against Phils shoulder, Phil flopped back in his seat. Ben and Jack were both sat hunched onto one of their arms, snoring away and Luke had gone back to the house incase Jaden and Marcus, who as usual had slept through the whole scenario, woke up in fits of confusion.
"Sorry bro I just can't relax. She actually spoke to me, she understood what I had said to her and had enough energy to say it back! And now they're going to be knocking her back out to pull an entire human from her," Mason scratched the back of his neck, suddenly feeling overwhelmed. "Christ, I'm going to faint," he grabbed his head, the lack of sleep, dehydration and mental overwhelm of the situation becoming too much for him in an instant.
"No no no you're not, you're not knocking yourself out too. Have my seat, I'll go and get you some water," Jude jumped up immediately, placing his hands around Masons shoulders that were covered by his beige hoodie with dark brown writing across the middle. Jude guided him to his seat, helping him sit down and making sure he was ok, before heading to the water fountain. As soon as he was seated, he began to feel slightly better, the rosy colour collecting in his face once again to replace the sheet white colour he had faded to just seconds earlier.
He got out his phone, gratefully accepting the water from Jude, who moved fo stand behind the chair, massaging his shoulders slightly as he did. He had been such a good friend to Maeve, and of course Mason, and truthfully he was trying his best to stay strong. But when no one was looking, when he was alone in the toilet stalls, or the rest of the boys had fallen to sleep with Mason still in the hospital room, he had no choice but to let out his true feelings. His hatred for this cruel world, his mourning potential loss of his best friend since camp.
"Thank you bro, for everything," Mason turned his head to look up to him with a small smile.
"No, mate, thank you. Thank you for introducing me to my best friend in the world. And thank god that we haven't lost her," Jude patted Masons shoulders, both of their sharing a kind smile at one and other. Mason turned back to his phone, remembering what he had originally been doing.

Text message to : Mother Karen

She's just gone down for surgery now, I'll keep you posted as and when I hear anything. She woke briefly before going down so I'm feeling much more optimistic than before, our strong fighter ❤️

Thank you for letting me know, Mase. She's never given up easily, her dad taught her that. She misses him dearly I know, but I know she's not ready to see him again yet. She'll be strong enough to come out the other side and gift you with your child, and all of her love. She's so lucky, Mason. ❤️

Masons eyes glossed over the text message, a small smile appearing on his face. As he was about to reply, he was distracted by footsteps hurrying into the waiting room. It was the same nurse as before.
"Mr Mount, please come. Now."