2. Customer Service is Terrible Here in the Void

2

He floated in a featureless void. There was nothing in the blackness to indicate how large this place was, nor the passage of time. No matter how much strength Dax tried to use, his arms and legs refused to move even a millimetre.

Something heavy was holding him down.

Unable to move more than his neck or eyelids, Dax had little choice but to float there aimlessly like a tethered hot air balloon. His skin erupted in goosebumps at the coldness of this place, as his brain struggled to comprehend what was going on.

Was he dead?

Is this the afterlife?

He hadn't expected to wake up again and Dax wasn't all too sure that he actually was awake right now and not in some sort of nightmare. If it truly was the afterlife, things were going to be incredibly boring.

A golden light flashed in front of his eyes, so bright in comparison to the darkness he was now so accustomed to that he violently flinched away from it. Even with his eyes tightly closed the light was still painful, glowing green and purple blobs danced in his vision.

Once the pain from the light had ebbed away, Dax was able to cautiously open his eyes once more. At first, cautiously squinting and then rapidly fluttering his eyelids until he could trust his ability to stare out into the abyss. It was still dark, though now the all encompassing darkness had been upgraded to the sort of gloom you encountered in horror games filled with jumpscares. Dax clenched his fingers tightly together almost expecting to find a rusty old miner's lantern, a torch or lighter in it.

There was nothing there. His hand clenched on itself concernedly empty.

Motionless and unchanging the golden light hung about two metres from Dax's face. He didn't know what to make of it. Unbidden thoughts of anglerfish came to the forefront of his mind and he prayed that he wasn't going to get eaten by some deep sea creature mere moments after returning to consciousness.

Dax could feel his heart beating rapidly in his chest as he held his breath hoping not to alert the thing. The fear brought back some alertness and his brain started to pay attention to the state of the rest of his body. Bodily sensations rushed back and they were making something abundantly clear.

He'd only noticed the cold at first but that was just numbing the real problem. Beneath the goosebumps and the sheer overwhelming fatigue pressing down on him like a leaden blanket, every thought manually pulled from the far recesses of his mind as if from some bucket tossed into a deep well, there was pain.

Pain.

If he was dead, then why was there still pain?

Every centimetre of his body felt like someone had hit him with a sledgehammer. As it rolled over him in waves, Dax's ability to pull the rope holding his bucket of thoughts grew weaker. It was the sort of pain that forced thoughts to come in fragments and a sort of clammy sweat to gather on your face and chest. Thoughts were just scrambled words haphazardly slapped together into something attempting to look like a sentence.

Sweat was something that he didn't really have to worry about, as his nerve endings finally bothered to notify him that he was wet. In fact he was beyond soaked. His whole body was submerged in liquid. That was probably why he was so cold. Dax blinked his eyes rapidly as they began to sting, half expecting to suddenly wake up from this weird ass dream but he didn't.

Instead of the sparkling blue, algae filled green or dirty brown of the water he had grown used to seeing in his own world or even the red tinted waters of Flames of the Night Immortal Jade Warriors' sea, this wasn't what he had been expecting.