20. Concerning Memory Loss

20

The Wheat God's memory loss was very worrying. It wasn't unheard of for a human to lose memories after a traumatic almost fatal injury but it was a phenomena that had yet to be observed among even the weakest of the gods.

After doing several, very extensive tests on Dythos, the team of healing deities in the Halls of Healing were gathering together to discuss his lack of memory. Gathering together like this would hopefully help them get to the root of the problem faster.

They'd tested for every physical thing that could be wrong with him. None of the organs that stored his godly powers were damaged (a/n: Personally I keep my godlike powers in my magic pancreas. It's exactly like my non-magical pancreas only it actually does it's job.) in fact they were working amazingly well considering how low his power level was right now. Despite this though, the wounds that criss crossed Dythos' body were still taking longer to heal than any of them would have predicted.

The longer Dythos stayed in the Healing Halls, the higher their concern about his memory loss grew. At one point they had even resorted to doing a sort of identity parade to determine the severity of the memory loss. It had consisted of pretty much any Heavenly Being that had ever interacted with Dythos that was still alive visiting him in the Healing Halls. That plan of action however was to no avail.

He didn't even recognise Elgaldir the God of War! If there was anyone that he should remember it should have been Elgaldir. The physical form the God of War currently took was different than it had been the night Dythos almost died but the change in his physical manifestation shouldn't be enough to make him unidentifiable. All the important noticeable features were still there, he'd just gotten significantly bigger in stature.

A lot of people hadn't been happy with the decision to include the God of War in this little experiment but if Dythos couldn't even remember him... then his memory loss was more extensive than they worried.

"I think it might be psychological personally." Omdum suggested. "It makes sense, considering how traumatic the events that got him here were. The battle was horrible for all that were there and Dythos' wounds were so severe it's a miracle that he survived."

It wasn't inconceivable that this is what had happened to Dythos, traumatic situations changed you. Maybe this time they had changed his memories to keep him alive. Remembering the battle was something many who had fought in it wished they could no longer do. It haunted them in the quiet moments of their days. Omdum was used to seeing them here in the Healing Halls usually at night desperately looking for something to take the memories away.

He couldn't take them but he could help them cope with them better and stop them from becoming overwhelmed.

Dythos' situation was the exact opposite. Here was a God who had experienced one of the worst things that could happen to a Deity and yet he had no memory of it. How did you approach a situation like that?

"The wounds were worse than they are now?" A junior asked, horrified. They were holding the God of Wheat's medical charts across which were documented the multiple wounds his manifestation was riddled with. The chart looked more like a guide for scoring a festival ham than an actual medical record.

"The wounds you see now are nothing in comparison." The God of Healing shuddered at the memory. "Killing a god through wounds to their manifested body is almost impossible. So just imagine the scene I walked into, a fresh eyed God of Battlefield Medicine. It was only the Healing Spring that could have healed him. We barely even managed to keep him alive long enough to get him there in the first place."