13. A Confrontation Long in the Making

13

The Emperor of Heaven had both a massive and beautiful throne room door, until the God of War kicked it in.

Boom.

A sound like that of a battering ram hitting the drawbridge of a castle emanated through the air.

It reverberated with the force of the God's foot before the huge wooden door with its intricate fish carvings splintered into thousands of pieces.

Wood slivers, gold and shattered oyster shells rained down on the stairs descending into the throne room. The debris was blown so far inside that a golden seashell even landed at the feet of the Emperor's throne.

Several members of the court who had not fled or dove for cover during the explosion, were left standing in a room that no longer had a door. Several were unable to stop their mouths from falling open as they stared at the space where it had once been hanging until it had incurred the wrath of Elgaldir.

It took a good fifteen seconds before the guards rushed out to grab him. No-one had ever even tried to do this before. Occasionally someone would come and kick the outer door of the palace but never had someone actually done any lasting damage to the structure. Once they were closer to the pissed off God of War, the guards could see that he was holding a flaming sword in his left hand.

The braver ones drew their own heavenly weapons and once again reached out to grab him. Elgaldir braced himself, fully ready to fight his way up to the throne if he needed to. The ringing of the bell was enough reason to throw all logic aside. Thoughts of Dythos were enough to abandon almost anything for.

His hands were shaking.

Apart from the Deities of Death, everyone had told Elgaldir that Dythos was dead. The power still remaining in the protection seal in Dythos' courtyard had reassured him that wasn't so but the God of War had faced four thousand years with questions that no-one would answer. They had been so adamant. They had told him it was his grief, that it was the weight of his sin that made him so sure Dythos was alive.

But he had seen Dythos' life timer. There had still been sand in it. 

Of all the voices, that of the Emperor of Heaven was the loudest.

He'd never been put in this position before. All this time he'd trusted the Imperial family and yet they had lied to him. Not only had they lied, they had lied about something that was so catastrophic.

Killing Dythos and horrifically wounding him were both unforgivable but they were also two entirely different things.

The sword hilt held in his calloused hands shook as he attempted to swallow past the lump in his throat.

Mouth dry, eyes moist and teeth clenched he steadied his grip.

Just as Elgaldir raised his sword and dropped into a more defensible position ready to clash swords with the guards, the Emperor stood up from his throne and commanded.

"Let him in and lower your weapons."

Elgaldir took several steadying breaths as he glared up at the throne. A thin sheen of sweat covered his face and his knuckles cracked from the sheer strength of his grip on the sword. It took a while but he was able to sheath his sword and reign in enough of his anger now that he was no longer being actively prevented from his approach to see killing everyone in his path was not likely to end up in him getting the answers he desperately needed.