39. Bad Memories Part 1

39

Elgaldir looped arms with Dax and guided him through the maze of buildings that made up the War Department's work complex. Although it stood on the same hill as the palace he had inherited, it resembled a university campus more than a home. They passed training fields, a shooting range, several fortified armouries, a canteen, military intelligence and research and development buildings until Elgaldir found what he was looking for.

The pair stopped outside of a large building but did not enter, instead passing through a wrought iron gate into a small enclosed garden shielded from the wind by a curved grey brick wall. There were various ornamental grasses planted around the space, gently swaying in the slight breeze that had managed to circumvent the shelter provided by the wall.

This was certainly a place private enough for the conversation Dax wanted to have with Elgaldir. It was quiet, the risk of them being overheard was pretty low and being able to see the sky was soothing.

Dax could feel his hand shaking and he didn't really know how he was keeping himself upright after the burst of energy he'd let escape from him in the War Department's administrative office. He'd only been able to walk this far because Elgaldir had let him lean on his proffered arm more and more as his legs became increasingly shaky.

Hopefully the plants that were now sort of infesting the administrative office would be easy to remove.

As the pair walked Dax truly admired the planting and the fact that the God of War hadn't brought him to some large beige sweaty conference room. Ornamental grass brushed his bare ankle tickling the delicate skin there as they reached a bench.

"That was new." Dax said looking at his hands only noticing now that they were covered in a thin layer of moss. Its rust and green succulent-like clusters increased in density the closer they were to the tips of his fingers and it was starting to feel a little itchy. He nervously rubbed the palms of his hands together hoping that the friction would help get it off.

Nothing changed.

He wasn't shaking anymore but he was intensely embarrassed.

Dax could feel his cheeks heating more and more and he didn't need to see, to know that they were bright red. It seemed like every time he left the house, his track record of returning without completely destroying his self esteem and public image tanked yet again.

"Do you feel any better?" Elgaldir asked brushing some moss off of his own clothes where it had fallen, sprinkling him with a fine dust of plant matter.

"I honestly don't know." Dax countered the sheer panic had left his voice but it had been replaced with just as much if not more embarrassment. He didn't feel like he was dying the way he had before but Dax still felt like the ground could swallow him whole at any moment.

Clanging from the swords and the scent of smoke had knocked whatever he had wanted to ask Elgaldir out of his mind for a while. Now after standing in the garden for a few minutes staring up at the sky reminded Dax what he had been so desperate to ask.

What he had wanted to ask since recovering the memories in Mother Willow's garden.

"Look..." He sighed looking up at Elgaldir's concerned face, his legs were starting to burn and he didn't want to draw out this conversation for any longer than it had to be. "What was I like before all of this?"

"Some of the memories are coming back?" The God of War asked his face contracted in concern. He reached out gingerly as if expecting Dax to viciously reject him but when he didn't, placed a hand reassuringly on his shoulder.