34. Room with a View

34

Waking up in an actual bed was such a strange experience that Dax wondered for a solid minute to himself whether or not he had returned to his own body. Upon opening his eyes though, the bedroom that greeted him was nothing like the one he had been expecting back on Earth. It had to be at least five times the size.

The bed itself wasn't overly large (probably a double) but it was carved out of what had once been a very old oak tree. The golden grain was perfectly waxed and very obviously well cared for. Various other pieces of furniture made out of the same wood filled the room. Bedside tables covered in knick-knacks, a vanity with a bronze mirror and wardrobes that he was itching to look through.

There had to be some better fitting clothes in there than the two pairs he had right now. For one the robes he's woken up in in the lake which were too big and he had to keep pulling up the bottoms and trying to prevent the collar from slipping off of his shoulders. Dax had been given a few plain sets of clothes during his stay in the Healing Halls, they fit him a lot better but he hated the feel of the fabric.

On the wall directly across from the bed was a small stained glass window depicting the harvest of a wheat field filled with wildflowers. The light that shone from it scattered a rainbow of light throughout the room.

It was nice. A bedroom like this was somewhere truly comfortable to sleep in. Dax hadn't even noticed the back and neck pain he'd been living with until now. Just one night of laying in an actual bed had completely gotten rid of it.

He had no memory of getting here and he wasn't particularly sure how he had actually found a bedroom at all in the first place. He'd been searching for one the entire time he'd been here in the palace and all of those searches had been fruitless.

Apparently he just had to sleep walk to find one?

"System, how did I get here? He asked as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes. Hopefully the System would know what had actually happened. There wasn't exactly anyone else he could ask about this right now without looking insane.

He had the feeling the fact he needed to sleep, was freaking out everyone enough on its own at the moment.

The golden orb that had been hovering over the foot of the bed leisurely floated up the bed before settling on the covers just above his chest. If an AI could sound tired that was exactly how it sounded when the System answered his question.

"The God of War returned you to your bed and tucked you in last night after you fell asleep standing up." It explained. As always it's explanation lacked a lot of details Dax felt like he needed to actually understand what it was saying.

"Oh." Dax said memories of crying in a bush and having to be talked out of it by a rather patient god wearing the colour insignia of the War Department came rushing to the forefront of his mind.

If Dax had been unsure if he was currently in Dythos' palace even after seeing the stained glass window the vase filled to the brim with dried ears of wheat made everything certain.

Assuming that he actually was currently sitting in a bed in a bedroom somewhere in the palace of the Wheat God right now that had to mean that Elgaldir had seen the state it was in.

He cringed. The sort of cringe you feel where you want the ground to open up beneath your feet.

This was definitely an embarrassing situation to be in. No doubt Elgaldir had come to see him on official business and instead he had to babysit a cereal god having a mental breakdown instead. That was even without thinking about the sheer state of the palace right now. If Dax's mother had been here... well he'd be cleaning for the next eight thousand years and she would be apoplectic with rage at how messy the place was.