12. Lunch Time

12

A considerable chunk of time was dedicated by the System to dumping a concerning amount of information on Dax. So much so that he began to feel a little woozy. Adapting to his current situation and the world he was currently living in was not something that could be done quickly. Every time he felt like he was actually getting a grasp on what was happening something else would happen and it would send him spiralling.

It was all a lot to take in.

"I'm a god?" He asked incredulously. Dax's voice wavered as he took a step towards the orb and almost lost his balance on a rather slippery rock. There was a patch of red algae growing over it that he hadn't seen in his shock.

"I thought we just talked about this. Technically you're a fertility deity with a speciality in wheat and wheat by products." System replied in its monotone robotic voice. It seemed like it was annoyed at his inability to just go with the flow of the conversation, interrupting the AI with endless questions.

Dax found himself blushing. "What? Isn't that the realm of big breasted goddesses?" he asked. Everything he'd learned in school about old fertility goddesses was that they were goddesses. Goddesses with big boobs and long hair and big hips who walked around the countryside naked occasionally holding a basket of fruit or a baby.

He might not describe himself as a never nude but he didn't fancy the prospect of being so publicly without clothes.

Also his current body was lacking some seemingly important assets in this line of work.

System hovered silently staring at him with it's non-eyes a glowing ball of judgement.

"Deities exist and have the appearance that they do, because of the beliefs their believers have about them." It explained trying to get into his head, that in the Heavenly Realm everything you did and everything you were, was down to the people who prayed to you.

"Makes sense I guess." Dax replied, shifting his weight from where he was kneeling at the gravel shore to sitting with his legs crossed. He was tired already, his legs were beginning to shake and it seemed that this conversation wasn't going to end quickly. Dax didn't want to faint mid conversation. He was already embarrassed enough.

"As stated previously, there are several power upgrades that you can purchase with the points you can earn from acting 'in character' as Dythos the God of Wheat." The System reminded him, hoping to get back on track with its explanation and entice his gamer brain with the prospect of gamifying his life.

"How am I meant to pass as this person I know nothing about?" Dax asked bluntly, pointing out what he thought to be a pretty glaring flaw in this plan.

The System responded snappily, "That's your problem to deal with." as it bobbed up and down angrily.

"What happens if I don't do this?" Dax asked, staring at the glowing orb starting to think that this was some sort of fever dream he was having. Maybe he would suddenly wake up and find himself in a hospital somewhere after being in a keyboard electric shock induced coma.

Unfortunately, pinching himself really hard on his left forearm did not cause this to happen. For now at least, this situation was real and he was going to have to live by System's rules for at least a while.

It bounced up and down in the air in what looked like an increasingly annoyed manner before saying. "We swap you out with another lucky customer and then you're for real dead this time."