17. Why is it so bright in here?

17

When at long last Dax finally opened his eyes for what felt like the millionth time, his eyes began to water immediately. They had grown so accustomed to the dim purple light emitted from the purple mushrooms in the cave that the world now seemed painfully bright.

Dax's vision was filled with harsh white light that was inescapable even if he closed his eyes and placed his hands over them. His eyes began watering even more and he felt the strong urge to sneeze tickling at the back of his nose.

Blinking his eyes open and closed rapidly beneath his fingers, Dax hoped to regain some semblance of normal sight.

He didn't know where he was or what was going on. For all he knew, he was sitting on the surface of the sun. It was so bright.

Every direction he turned in hopes of finding some relief from the assault was in vain.

Surely this wasn't Heaven right? He might be inhabiting the body of a God but he didn't think that he would be able to function if Heaven looked like this... A featureless white void.

Dax panicked momentarily that the System had gotten annoyed with his inability to stay conscious for an extended amount of time and had, actually for real this time killed him off. Maybe, right now as he was thinking this, the System was already reading out its introductory message to some other dead person who was better at escaping mysterious mystical underground caves.

The thought of spending eternity laying in a white void with no way of moving and nothing to mark the passing of time was horrifying.

After his thoughts felt a little less fuzzy from sleep, Dax took in two deep breaths and then held his breath so that he could concentrate whilst listening for even the smallest of sounds.

The initial panic at being fired from his second life began to reside as he strained his hearing for any clue as to where he was. It was quiet in this room. His breathing was the only noise within it but in the distance he could hear sounds of people moving around and talking to one another. Dax removed his hands from over his still tightly shut eyes and clapped them once listening intently to the sound that was produced for clues.

It did not echo the way that sounds within the cave had echoed and so he deduced that he was in a moderately large room.

Dax sighed, 'Why did they feel the need to light this room so excessively?'

At either side of him, he tentatively felt the surface which he was laying on. Relief flooded over him at the sensation of bed linen under his fingers. It felt expensive, the sort that didn't pill in the washing machine. The mattress that he was lying on felt comfortable, it made him wonder why he hadn't noticed the sensation of lying on it until now.

He'd spent his time in the cave lying on a jumble of blankets on the floor. Dax's spine was thanking him for being able to lie flat properly and not scrunched up like a boiled prawn.

Feeling the mattress and the high quality bedding beneath him really solidified his deduction that he was no longer in the cave where he had been living for the past few days.

Slowly more details came into his view, as his eyes began to adjust to the light levels around him.

He may no longer be in the cave but he was also unfortunately not back in the internet cafe or his own bedroom. Nor was he returned to the body of Dax Moonfield on Earth.

Dax was, though, in a room filled with decoratively carved wooden furniture and delicate crystal lamps hung from beams on the ceiling. It was these lamps that had caused all of the eye pain upon waking.