11. The Other Bell

11

The courtyard of Dythos' palace was filled with Deities speed walking their way through to the entrance of the formal gardens. Nervous murmurs ran through the gathered mass as they tried to hurry towards the source of the sound now echoing through the entirety of the city whilst trying to remain composed.

This was a big event and if you weren't there... well you weren't there.

Dythos' formal gardens were filled with yet even more camellia bushes, each one in full flower and carefully trimmed into delicately tapering teardrop shapes. Beneath and between them at random intervals stalks interspersed with wildflowers grew. It might be a formal garden but it was the God of Wheat's formal garden, you could see his trace everywhere you looked.

Shaped like a labyrinth, the path twisted in various directions before it led them all to another gravel filled courtyard where Elgaldir was already standing. As the path was narrow and the flowers so delicate a big bottle neck happened that took some time to pass. Despite their rush and impatience to know what was going on the various residents of Heavenly City found themselves tip-toeing around the plants desperately in order to not damage anything and incur the wrath of the God of War.

Once everyone had made their way to the centre, the space was pretty cramped. It was hard to see anything unless you were close to the middle or freakishly tall.

Members of the War Department, who had run after their boss, were attempting to keep within eyesight of him whilst commiserating that they were even more squashed now than they had been in the office. At least there had been places to sit down there, even if that place had been someone else's lap.

The ringing of the bell had drawn more than just the notice of Elgaldir and his juniors. The Goddess of Healing was here and she was probably the busiest resident in the entire city. You could even hear people lost in the labyrinth complaining about not being able to see.

It was easy to get knocked off of your feet as the crowd moved, each person jostling for a better view. There was an alarmed shout from somewhere on the left and as one they all turned to see what had happened.

Lying in a thorny bush was a clumsy God who hadn't been able to remain standing.

Everyone glared at him for distracting them from what was happening as he pulled out thorns that had become embedded in the skin of his hands and forearms.

In the centre of the huddle was the God of War, standing over what looked like a glass birdbath. Sunlight shining down on the glass bowl, cast many tiny flecks of rainbow light on all those that had gathered there. Above it, suspended from a wrought iron arbour covered in pink. white and red clematis flowers were a delicate wrought iron wind chime.

Dangling from the windchime were several metal chimes and a delicate crystal bell.

Currently Elgaldir was staring at it in disbelief as it swung gently from side to side emitting the tolling sound that had brought them all here. The note though light and cheery sounding symbolised something much more important than a passing gentle breeze.

As he stood staring at it in silent wonder the ringing grew louder and the time in between peals reduced. Now it sounded like someone was frantically ringing it to raise an alarm. Deities who had previously been scrambling and shoving one another to get a better view, stood as still as statues.

It had never done this before. In the entire time the windchime had hung here it had never rang even once, never mind so energetically.

A golden light began to shine from the bell down into the glass birdbath lying beneath it. The rainbows of light that had been refracting from it strengthened, forming spider web silk like rays.