54. Closer than Imagined

54

They ran and ran. Through narrow alleys that widened ever more and more as they ascended heaven's largest city. The streets were darker, fewer and fewer windows with lights still burning in them, fewer street lamps and fewer city residents to see them.

Elgaldir marvelled at the speed and endurance Dythos was pulling from somewhere unknown, in order to keep going. He'd tried to reduce his own pace in an effort to get the Wheat God to slow his anxious flight but that had only resulted in the grip Dythos had on his hand increasing as he began dragging him along behind. Like a child, he followed along despite possessing more than enough strength to break the smaller god's grip.

He really could have broken the grip on him at any point Dythos' fingers were long and thin, though often used for kneading bread they had nothing on his own used to wielding a sword. Elgaldir was worried if he did break that hold, he would lose the God of Wheat in the crowd. Dythos was already scared, adding his fear of crowds to that. There was no knowing how he would react if they were to become separated.

Last time in his fear he had discharged enough energy to make himself really weak again and the god of war was scared that this time it would be big enough and uncontrolled enough that it would do more than just make him tired.

There were still small patches of wheat growing in his Administrative Office after all.

Worried that Dythos could faint or trip pulling him like this, Elgaldir soon returned to matching the fleeing god's hurried steps.

Streets flashed by and people scattered before them like seagulls on a beach.

The God of War wondered if Dythos even knew where he was running to or if he was just running away. Did he even know what it was that he was running from? The questioning eyes of the other deities had long been left behind.

In the state that Dythos was currently in, Elgaldir had no idea how long it was going to take to calm him down enough to stop running.

That they were leaving the lower city was only something he noticed when the gates began looming before them and Dythos had to slow because of the press of the crowd. He tried calling out to him but he did not seem to hear anymore. Or at least Dythos was unable to respond.

Eventually the seemingly endless running ended when Dythos flopped down on the same bench they had been sitting on earlier tonight. The view was just as beautiful as it had been but Elgaldir couldn't let himself get distracted by it, as the other god almost fell off the bench he was shaking so heavily.

He rushed round and grabbed him by the shoulders, sitting him back upright and holding him there as he gasped for breath. As he held him, there was nothing but the sound of their breaths to break the silence. There was no use asking the smaller god anything right now, he could barely breathe.

It sounded so loud in the quiet stillness of the middle city. The park itself was silent except for the sound of a swan swimming past them in the pond several metres behind them. Water lapped the bank and the swoosh of its wings were a welcome distraction as they waited.

Finally, when it felt safe to let go of Dythos, Elgaldir rushed round to the front of the bench to sit beside him but felt something in his back pocket he hadn't remembered being there before. He fished it out annoyed that it was taking time to do so, for some reason the pocket was too tight for him to squeeze his fingers in around the object, only to find the glass suncatcher he had bought earlier in there.