43. The Striped Confrontation

43

Omdum was the sort of god that got a fast pass through the Palace of the Heavenly Emperor's security. It wasn't a perk that he used often but when he actually had a reason to be there, he was very grateful to have such privileges.

It certainly beat having to kick his front door open.

You could usually find Drulvenus either in the throne room, in his council chambers meeting with various important deities or drinking wine down in one of his many ornamental gardens. Despite asking several of the attendants, Omdum was none the wiser as to where the object of his current annoyance was right now.

He walked all the way down through ostentatious corridors covered in gold leaf and crystal light fittings to the council chambers only to find them empty. Walking back up the many stairs and then traversing his way through yet more of them to get to the throne room, really wasn't how he had imagined he was going to spend the day but he was determined to have his demands met.

For the average deity, having spent this much time looking for someone would probably have dampened some of the anger that they had left their residence with (he secretly thought this was the entire purpose of the palace's layout in the first place), but when something impacted his patient's ability to recover or trampled their rights Omdum was not so easily assuaged. In fact, he was becoming increasingly annoyed.

Why the hell was this place so big in the first place?

Good thing ascended deities didn't ever need to use the toilet because you would one thousand percent piss yourself before you ever found a bathroom. If you were a human, would you really want to pray to an Emperor that constantly pissed his pants because he couldn't reliably navigate his own house?

Probably not.

The throne room's heavy wooden door was thrown open for him but Omdum found all three seats upon the dais empty. Not only were the seats empty, the entire cavernous room was void of life. Where there were normally groups of councillors chatting together, staff running messages back and forth and the occasional guard standing watch over one of the realms citizens, there were only dust motes swirling through the air.

A curtain, normally drawn over the exit to the extensive balcony, was flapping loosely in the wind. It had been pulled back slightly and not returned to it's original place. That was what had initially drawn Omdum's eye to it. The door that lay beyond had to be open.

Drulvenus very rarely spent any time on the balcony and Omdum would never have thought to look for him out there. Neither would any of Drulvenus' palace's staff.

The perfect place to hide from your work without getting found.

He slipped through the gap in the curtain, its velvet fabric brushing against his face. Drulvenus turned to him shocked at having had his hiding place found out at last. Omdum wondered just how long he had been standing out here.

Red wine in a crystal glass covered in delicate etchings stood on the balustrade that prevented you from falling several hundred feet down the side of the hill that the palace was built upon into the second level of the city below it. Very handy at parties that included the Deities of Alcohol who never seemed to be able to only have one glass.

They were very messy drunks.

Omdum's expression, or maybe just the general aura of his demeanour seemed to get the purpose of his visit across to the Emperor who quickly picked the glass back up and gestured to the Healing God to follow him.