51. Escaping to Make Friends

51

After his little stroll in the garden and shredding many more flowers in his frustration with the System, Dax came to the conclusion that he needed to make a friend. Someone that wasn't a sarcastic AI, one of his guards or his current flat mate the God of War. He could also rule out Olris who he hadn't seen in several weeks at this point and actively didn't like at this point.

He wondered whether they had been fired when Elgaldir had been ordered to take over the watch on him. Dax didn't dwell on it for too long as they really hadn't been doing a good job. Hopefully Olris would get reassigned to a task that was better for them.

Operation make a friend commencing in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Blast off!

Dax laughed at his own thoughts before reflecting on how he was really feeling right now. Things felt constrained. His life was mostly spent in this palace dealing with the prayers, taking small walks in the garden, eating and sleeping. Sometimes he talked with Elgaldir and now and then he would take him out into the city to visit interesting places but he was literally the only person here that he would call a friend.

He barely knew anyone here in the Heavenly Realm at all and that hadn't been a problem when he had first arrived because he had just been so glad to actually be able to remain conscious for more than four hours at a time. It was however beginning to weigh on his mind more and more as the days passed by.

It was nice to be close to Elgaldir but only having one friend felt like a problem. What if he wanted to hang out and the God of War had work he had to do? That left him only able to bother the new guards for a bit but then he was distracting them from their work and that was unfair to them.

Taking a break from work was nice and all but now he was bored without anything to do.

Well, not having anything to do was a lie... There was the pressing issue of the prayers to deal with and he had yet to actually fully explore his palatial home. It was kind of spooky wandering around the empty halls. Everything was... mostly clean so it had the feeling that Dythos had only walked out yesterday and here he was coming in and disturbing everything to a certain degree he felt like a squatter in a millionaire's home.

It was clean... except for the dust which made the place smell like a second hand bookstore or a T-shirt you bought several years ago then never wore and it's just been hanging out in the depths of your wardrobe or the back of a drawer ever since.

He was too scared to venture deeper into the labyrinth of rooms in case he got lost and couldn't find his way back out. That truly would be a nightmare situation. System was still refusing to give him a map of even just the rooms he had already found on his own or with Elgaldir, determined to make him memorise the layout himself.

It was happy to show Dax the mini map of the city with all the spots he had come across with his new tall friend now unlocked but it refused to do the same for his own house.

The whole situation was absurd.

So he'd taken to drawing a map of his own after borrowing ink from Elgaldir in their shared office, Dythos' had all dried up in the Prayer Office inkwell. Despite searching through all the drawers in there he had no idea where there could be any spares. As he explored he would add onto the map room by room so that he could always be sure of finding his way back.

No longer having to rely on his 'is this corridor less dusty than that one' method of finding his way back. It had worked to some degree but had left Dax getting even more lost more than once.