46. Wheelchairs and Moving in Again - Part 1

46

When Dax awoke from his nap, it was early evening. The air blowing through the open window was cool and smelled of flowers, a small perk of living surrounded by them. He stretched, sleeping in a chair was overrated. Fluffy though the blanket was, it wasn't particularly warm and Dax found himself shivering a little.

Surely it hadn't been this cold when he went to sleep. His toes and how stiff they were, were likely the reason he had woken up in the first place.

Dax wrapped his fingers around his toes, wiggling them and rubbing vigorously to try and warm them. His jaw made a disconcerting cracking noise as he yawned and rubbed his eyes. All the walking yesterday had really sapped his energy.

It was hard to feel worse than when he had woken up in the Healing Halls after passing out but the way he was feeling right now was pretty close to it. Now that the blood flow had returned to his toes Dax could feel the cramp that was radiating up his leg.

He lay back down again, attempting to relieve it by rocking his ankles up and down as his calf muscles attempted to snap his legs in two. This wasn't a sensation that was new to him. If he spent too long playing games, sat in the same position or forgot to drink enough liquids because he was just five kills away from levelling up Dax was prone to random attacks of cramp like this.

It truly felt like his body was attacking him when it happened too because they came on suddenly seemingly from nowhere and the pain was debilitating. All he could do was lie on the floor wherever it was happening and try not to scream.

There were a lot of things you noticed lying on the floor of a PC Cafe in the sub-basement level of an almost dead shopping centre and none of them were good.

Just as he was about to shout out for Elgaldir to come and help him (he was unsure what the God of War would be able to do to help but he was starting to become too scared to be alone with the pain) the cramp that had been progressively getting stronger suddenly lessened. It was still bad enough that Dax didn't trust his legs enough to walk but at least now he didn't feel like he was going to throw up.

Luckily a shiny new wheelchair stood to one side of the couch he was still lying in. He hadn't noticed it before, Elgaldir or one of the guards must have assembled it whilst he was sleeping. It was very thoughtful.

Using the fabric of the sofa, Dax pulled himself upright again, gingerly placing his feet on the ground. The intense ratcheting cramp didn't return despite his fear that it would and he managed to lift himself up into the wheelchair only noticing the note that had been placed on it when the paper crinkled under his bum.

Dax fished it out, careful not to lean too far to one side and risk tipping over or falling out. It was a hastily written note in the same blue ink he had seen on thousands of prayers now fulfilled.

'My juniors are bringing some of the stuff I need over the next few days. I hope the noise didn't wake you up. If you need me I'll probably be in the garden. If not just ask one of the guards. I safety tested the chair, if it can take my weight you can use it without any concern.'

Underneath that it was signed in a rather messy signature 'Elgaldir'

'P.S. I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty to assemble it for you.'

He truly didn't. Once Dax had put together a bike for his younger brother with his father and the experience was enough to put him off bikes for life. Assembling a manual wheelchair had to be even more annoying to do. There were so many pieces, so many washers that could roll under furniture never to be seen again.

So, I Transmigrated Into The Heavenly RealmOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara