26. Climbing Out of Windows and Causing Paper Avalanches

26

After the unexpected meeting with the Emperor, Dax found that the level of security that he was surrounded with had noticeably increased. There weren't just the one or two guards at the gate anymore. Every time he tried to get a moment to himself to just be alone and maybe try to get some more information out of the System someone would find him and hover around in the background.

He hadn't thought that he would find the orb more appealing to talk to than an actual person until now.

It seemed that no-one could hear System speak or see it flying around with him but that didn't mean that Dax wanted Dythos to be misunderstood as talking to invisible things either.

People already seemed to think that he was crazy.

Being followed everywhere was definitely starting to become annoying fast. Dax could understand that they wanted to be supportive and to keep an eye on him because he was so weak right now. He also understood that the previous owner of the body he was inhabiting had been killed by something and that it was tantamount to a miracle that here he was walking around again in the land of the living. That didn't stop people watching him eat bread, sleep on couch cushions on the dusty floor of a large salon and struggle to make his way around this palatial home without stopping to take rests so as not to black out, feeling intrusive though.

'If they are going to be here,' he thought 'they might as well do something actually helpful.'

No matter how he tried to talk to the guards or engage them in helping him complete tasks he wasn't currently strong enough to do on his own, they just stood and watched Dax struggle. Adapting to this new life with a body he couldn't trust not to pass out at any given moment was stressful. 

He silently observed them too now, when they thought that he was no longer looking at them.

This was weird.

Presumably they were reporting back to someone. Probably the Emperor, considering that they had appeared after Dax's meeting with them. There wasn't a lot for them to say, Dax felt as weak as a newborn lamb and their presence in his life was making him uncomfortable.

He wasn't doing anything wrong but every way he turned there was a guard watching him and it made him feel like he was going to get in trouble for something.

Right now, as he slipped on the polished marble floor of a now somewhat familiar corridor Dax was feeling pretty pissed off. Surely, if you really cared about someone you would want to ensure that their house was safe for them to be in when they had suffered a life changing injury.

As he hit the floor again and glared resentfully at the guard who was barely paying attention to him laying on the cold hard surface and kicking his legs wildly in frustration Dax decided that he had, had enough.

It was time to make a daring escape.

He sprang to his feet with new found energy given to him by his anger, determined to break out of the routine that he had found himself trapped in.

Dax put on a big show of being tired, yawning dramatically and alternating between squinting and rubbing his eyes for several minutes before declaring loudly that he wanted to go to bed.

He still hadn't found an actual bed yet. The palace had so many rooms he hadn't even seen yet. It had multiple floors he hadn't seen yet.

He used his ruse to get rid of the guard. Apparently they had decided that watching him sleep wasn't necessary anymore.