31. Red Letters Lie Waiting

31

Dax spent a further two hours sorting and ferrying the papers back and forth. It was tiring work and as he looked back at the mess of papers that were still covering the floor from the earlier avalanche, he was once again hit with the sheer scale of the task he had undertaken. Maybe it would have been a better idea to fulfil them one at a time. There would probably be less of a mess but he'd already started and didn't want to abandon the hours of work that had already been completed.

He was finally overcome by the work when, as he walked down the corridor to deposit more 'Please don't die' prayers to their own assigned room, the gentle gust of air caused by his walking disturbed the papers crammed into the Prayer Room.

The stacked papers were so unstable that even this was enough to set off a second avalanche of prayers which spread across the floor.

Luckily none of the carefully sorted piles of prayers were affected but seeing the clear areas of floor that you had just uncovered filled back in again was disheartening. It felt like the two hours of work that Dax had put into being able to see the floor again had been entirely pointless.

There were just too many papers.

He looked at the open door and what lay beyond it, the solid mass of paper appeared as if nothing had happened and Dax hadn't already processed thousands of prayers.

'It was going to take a while to process.' Dax thought as he waded back through the stacks once more, careful to not actually step on any of them. That seemed like it would be beyond disrespectful. 'Processing them is just the first part of it as well.' he thought, pinching the bridge of his nose to try and fend off the migraine he could feel building.

Normally he would have given up at this point but the little piles of prayers that he had been sorting through gave him motivation to keep forging ahead with the task at hand. Being able to do something for Dythos made him feel less bad about all the other things he was messing up.

If System said the sole reason he was here was to deal with this paperwork for the Wheat God, it would have been believable. Right now it was feeling more like Dax had landed himself in an incredibly weird version of purgatory than a second chance at life.

His attention was drawn back to the steadily filling room now dedicated to 'Please don't die' prayers and the sheer number of them. Surely after reading so many of them and noticing that they were entirely sent by one person as far as he could tell it would be best to try and deal with them first. He was constantly finding them among the prayers that had spilled out onto the floor. No doubt there was also a significant number of them still trapped within the prayer office as well.

Dealing with them would probably clear up a large space within the room and make it easier to deal with the others.

After all, Dax had already half filled a room dedicated purely to them.

System chimed a congratulatory and quite lengthy tune before softly shifting its glow's hue through the colours of the rainbow (not unlike the ill fated RGB keyboard that had brought him here Dax thought amusedly) before returning to its signature golden colour.

"Congratulations on the completion of your first one million four hundred and sixty thousand prayers. One thousand four hundred and sixty points have been deposited in your account."

Dax smiled. He'd finally been able to earn some points and it hadn't even been that hard to do. It would have been great if the System hadn't left him to sort thousands of prayers before deeming this one fulfilled though. Answering the remaining prayers was certainly going to be a grindfest but he was someone that may have been uniquely designed to do it.