30. Paperwork Mountain

30

Dax, now finally free to do his work with a dining table chair in tow and a bag full of cheese bread twists (one of the guards at the gate had given it to him for lunch) reopened the door to the prayer office. Precariously stacked papers that he and Olris had stuffed back into the room, haphazardly the other day began tumbling out again.

A veritable waterfall of paper that made Dax glad that he had chosen to stand behind the door and not in front of it. Once the mass had stabilised and no longer seemed like it posed a threat to swallow him whole, Dax sighed in relief. He was standing in the hallway and the spilled papers were already up to his mid-calf in depth.

Despite so many having fallen out of the doorway, the prayers in the room were still densely compacted blocking any view of the room's interior. It looked more like a large piece of chipboard was covering the entrance rather than a pile of papers they were so densely compacted together.

Looking at them, just viewing them at all was stressful. Every single paper in there was a wish, a prayer that a believer had sent to him. Sent with the belief and hope that it would be fulfilled.

'Not sent to you!' Dax reprimanded himself. 'Sent to Dythos. You're just borrowing his body right now. You aren't him!'

The weight of responsibility truly settled itself down onto his shoulders now. Doing the work of an actual God was a little different than lounging around in his house looking perusing his left behind items.

A question burrowed its way to the forefront of his mind.

Where do you start when you can't even get into the room?

To get into the prayer office, Dax was going to have to remove a large volume of the papers and rather than just stuffing them into another room it was probably for the best to start triaging them.

As he had absolutely no idea how to fulfil the prayers and probably wouldn't until he managed to access they were currently rammed into developing a better filing system was paramount.

The only way that Dax could see of doing that right now, was taking all of the prayer papers out of there and somehow sorting them into piles. There was definitely plenty of space to do that, the palace of the Wheat God was nothing but endless rooms and corridors. Surely Dax would be able to find a way of sorting them that felt less overwhelming.

Once filed properly it would be considerably more efficient to fulfil them once he actually knew how.

Speaking of efficiency it was baffling that the Heavenly Realm had such an inefficient way of dealing with prayers in the first place. Why use paper at all? Sure for small deities with equally small followings, it was a nice way of having a personal rapport with your believers, but it had to quickly spiral out of control.

Even if you had staff to help you Dax couldn't imagine that even the deity with the highest dedication to work ethic, heck even the Deity of Work Ethic would become overwhelmed and burnt out with such an analogue method.

This was going to be something he would curse colourfully about regularly in the future.

Floor and table space within this palace were certainly sufficient for laying the prayers out. There seemed, so far at least, to be no end to the amount of rooms it contained and Dax hadn't even been able to find a single way of getting to the first floor yet.

Space was assuredly not an issue.

Mechanical pressure and the sheer amount of time posed a larger problem in extracting the prayers. In the hours and days if not weeks to come there was going to be a considerable amount of delicate unfolding of fragile paper.