57. Leaves, Leaves Everywhere

57

The small park where Elgaldir and Dythos had been resting was the epicentre of the heavily leaf themed explosion but it was rapidly encompassing the rest of the city and growing increasingly denser.

They had both been picked up by the fast sprouting vines but Dythos had rocketed far higher above the God of war.

Elgaldir could no longer see him.

Scattering rainbows of light from its many hanging glass crystals, the camellia shaped suncatcher was hanging from one of the thinner vine tendrils suspended in a ray of light that had made its way through the canopy of leaves. As the vine continued growing it swayed slightly causing the suspended crystals to shiver and spin lazily. Tiny spots of rainbow light followed its movement, dancing across the shadowed plant stalks.

If he could see Dythos and know that he was actually okay this would probably be a pretty cool experience. It was beautiful and he now knew what it felt like to be an ant in a bean field but he couldn't dwell on that thought as anxiety had begun to climb its way up his chest.

"Dythos!" He shouted, trying to use the Wheat God's voice to gauge where he was but he couldn't hear anything in response. He shouted several more times in increasing panic and loudness but continued to get the same result for his effort.

That was when he truly started to panic. Dythos had been upset before they even got here; the two of them had run through half the city and Elgaldir was still marvelling at his legs, not giving out on him. If they had been left alone up here at the park in the quiet darkness maybe Elgaldir would have been able to console him.

Maybe if he hadn't been so distressed earlier today this wouldn't have happened.

The vine holding him was thick and despite his wiggling he hadn't moved an inch.

"Dythos!" he screamed.

Dythos was using so much power to create this that if he wasn't already worried about his safety, he definitely was now.

Dythos' emotional state had certainly not been helped by the sudden arrival of a certain sparkly pink Goddess.

What she'd said was something that he'd wanted to take Dythos aside to say at some point relatively soon and he was furious that the opportunity had been taken away from him.

'It should have been me that told him.' Elgaldir thought. 'I should have ignored them and just told him.'

It's not like he could have waltzed into their first meeting in the hospital and opened up with "Hey, how ya doing babe? I'm Elgaldir, God of War and Peace. I went feral and almost murdered you four thousand years ago. Oh, by the way, we were married at the time. Here's your ring back. Let's shack up."

Maybe holding it for this long was a bad idea, because now he'd gotten the information from one of the worst possible sources at exactly the wrong time and place.

Maybe if the God of War hadn't been expressly told not to tell Dythos the full truth about the nature of their past relationship he could have told him back in the garden.

Back when they had both talked about their memories of the Battle of Wind Blown Tears for hours until the sun had set and risen once more.

His possibly overprotective tendency towards Dythos was just as dangerous as everyone else's. It had hurt the person that valued being informed and allowed to make his own decisions when that was exactly the opposite of what he had intended.