Chapter 4 - What to Do, My Enemy Thinks My Roommate played piano with me pinned

Chapter 4 – What to Do, My Enemy Thinks That My Roommate and I Performed <Flight of the Bumblebee> On the Piano.

The title was too long so I shortened it. You'll notice it happening a lot in the future chapters.

*****

After saying that Xiao Nian continued looking at his tabs, he clearly was now immune to this. Wei Ru Song observed that Xiao Nian did not have much of a reaction to it, he also felt that it was too awkward to keep harping on this issue. He then pretended to also look at the tabs, they looked like beansprouts, also looked like ants, with his confusion he could only exclaim.

“Oh this… Eh… <Flight of the Bumblebee>… Wow! I can play this piece very well!”

It was very obvious that Wei Ru Song wanted to impress Xiao Nian.

“I have the highest grade,” Xiao Nian nonchalantly glancing at Wei Ru Song’s top quality puppy eyes. “This is for the welcoming feast tonight, I’m just looking at it.”

“Eh eh eh?! So cool!” Wei Ru Song was shocked. “Oh yeah, the girls mentioned that you can play 5 different instruments, is this true?”

“I guess so,” Xiao Nian actually considered it for a bit. “Piano, violin, guitar, cello, drums, saxophone, accordion, these are the only ones I know.”

“Only ones?! These are seven different instruments! How did you become the top scorer with such lousy mathematic skills? Shady, this is definitely shady.” Wei Ru Song wanting to be a majestic tiger could now only become Hello Kitty, unknowingly defeated again by Xiao Nian. He craftily pouted, “Why are you idolising the westerners? As a comrade there’s something wrong with your outlook.”

“I know a little Erhu and Hulusi, but I’m not proficient with them.”

“Not proficient?” Wei Ru Song immediately regretted saying that. He suspected that he was about to receive another shock from Xiao Nian, still he could not help but blurt it out. “What do you mean by not proficient?”

“I didn’t achieve the highest grading ah,” Xiao Nian replied naturally. “Without the highest grading how could I dare to say I can play?”

Wei Ru Song’s head hurt. These blows to his ego were definitely self-inflicted.

“Ok, I give up, I can only call you my master.”

Wei Ru Song could not help but imagine a Xiao Nian in a historical Chinese robe and a round pair of sunglasses, performing <The Moon Shadow in Er Quan> in bleak weather on a crowded street. He nearly bored a hole through Xiao Nian with his stare, and reflected that with his lack of imagination he could not depict that glum situation.

“Why do you have to perform <Flight of the Bumblebee>, it feels like you’re trying to act cool.”

Wei Ru Song admitted that his relationship with Xiao Nian was pretty good, after all they were both victims of a rumour. They were definitely on the same team, hence he spoke without thinking.

“The school council literary club senior gave me the score, and said this was played previously.”

“Bullshit,” Wei Ru Song exclaimed. “It was clearly a guitar the last time, you fool, he’s bullying you, wanting you to play till your hands cramp. Which senior? I’ll help you beat him up.”

“This piece is difficult, so I plan to practise in the piano room.”

“Wah, aren’t you sneaky,” Wei Ru Song winked and patted Xiao Nian’s shoulder. “The piano room’s on the first floor, with so many people passing by, there’s definitely quite a number of pretty girls, you…”