Funny Business

The first thing Hawk noticed in Sky's room was the bed - and not just because he hoped to get in there with her.

"That bed is—" he was at a loss of words.

"—insane?" Sky laughed. "I know, right?"

The said bed was an enormous four-poster bed made of dark wood and covered in ancient-looking carvings. The drapes that hung from the upper panel were of heavy, burgundy fabric and the whole thing looked like it belonged in a medieval castle instead of a bedroom of a 16-year-old girl in the Valley.

"Where did you get it?" Hawk asked, placing his hand on a column, feeling the smooth, polished carvings that represented ivy creeping up towards the upper panel.

"It belonged to my mom. And her mom before her etcetera," Sky shrugged. "Apparently it goes back hundreds of years. Mighty impractical when moving, but awesome for sleepovers."

Hawk replied with a nod, trying to hide the fact that the word sleepover had instantly thrown his mind into all the things he'd love to do with Sky if he ever was invited to that bed - all things that were probably considered 'funny business' by Mr. O'Brian.

Think about something else. About anything else—

To hide his emotion, Hawk cleared his throat, stuffed his hands into the pockets of his joggers that had suddenly begun to feel a bit tight in front.

Clearly oblivious to Hawk's state of mind, Sky pulled back the drapes and climbed to sit on the bed cross-legged. She opened the Ben and Jerry's tub she'd brought from the kitchen and held out a spoon for Hawk. "You coming, or do I have to eat all this by myself?"

She had only that one tub, and two spoons, and—

Hawk glanced around. There were no chairs in her room, except the one by her desk. She clearly meant that he should get in the bed with her. In that fucking bed—

Suddenly he was as nervous as he had been that night in his room when they had ended up making out on his bed. His heart was in his throat, the beats fast like the wings of a hummingbird.

He swallowed, but couldn't form an answer, just obeyed and followed her into the huge bed. Once they were both sitting on top of it, Sky tossed the spoon and the ice cream tub to him, reached to close the heavy curtains, and turned on a small lamp that was attached to one of the columns. Suddenly they were surrounded by soft, dark shadows as if they were in a cave - as if the rest of the world had ceased to exist.

Their eyes met over the ice cream, as Sky had a spoonful and took a comfortable, crossed-leg position in front of him. Her eyes were so green it took his breath away - he had never known anyone with eyes like that like she had a fucking spring in her gaze.

His throat bobbed.

Be an alpha.

Kiss her. Just kiss her now—

But she turned her eyes down, took another spoonful of Ben and Jerry's and the moment slipped through Hawk's fingers like water.

"You wanted to talk about something?" he said, to fill the silence, to get something else to think about than his wanting for her. The ice cream was hard, he had difficulties in getting any of it into his spoon, his fingers brushed hers slightly, as he tried to get a better grip of the tub and even that slight touch was enough to make his pulse quicken.

Sky shrugged. "Just wanted to apologize, I guess. And explain."

"Apologize for what?"

If she is gonna apologize for kissing me, I can't fucking take it—