All You Need is Love

"I went to look for you everywhere—" Dad muttered angrily as they walked towards the cars that were parked next to the apartment complex where Miguel lived. "At Eli's, at Demetri's— I even went to the LaRussos—"

Dad unlocked his car and gestured for Sky to get in there. Hesitating, Sky glanced at her own car, and then back at Dad who stood staring at her, his jaw clenched tight, his whole posture tense and annoyed.

"But what about my car—?"

"It stays here," Dad snapped. "You are not allowed to drive. As you should have known."

Sulking, Sky followed Dad into his car and sat on the passenger seat, deciding it was best not to comment on the subject. Dad was, of course, right - but it still sucked to be scolded as if Sky was the only one who'd done stupid things today.

"Seatbelt," Dad stated harshly.

Sky rolled her eyes and buckled her seatbelt. "I'm not an idiot."

"Well, you weren't thinking about safety this afternoon, when you jumped into your car and started driving with a cast and a brain injury, so excuse me for reminding you about it."

Again, Sky decided it was best not to comment, even if there already was a pointed remark at the tip of her tongue. She sank into her seat, knowing very well she deserved Dad's anger, but it still made her feel like crap.

"Look, Sky," Dad said, after a couple of minutes when they stopped at the first red lights. "I understand that you freaked out. And I am sorry that you found out like this. But running away like that—" he shook his head, looking so disappointed that Sky felt like sinking into her seat just to get away. "And not answering your phone for hours, after everything that's happened—"

Sky looked down at her hands that lay in her lap. The emotions that had overtaken her when she'd seen Dad kissing that woman in his office, had slowly worn out, leaving behind only a sticky and heavy mix of shame and sadness. She realized Dad had been worried sick, that Dad had probably thought she had done something to herself again. To think that Dad had been driving around all afternoon, in search of his suicidal daughter, made Sky feel like she was a piece of shit. What kind of a daughter puts her dad through things like that, over and over again?

"I'm sorry," she said silently. "I didn't mean to make you worried."

"Of course, I worried, Sky. I always worry for you."

She didn't reply, because what was there to say? She felt rotten already, stupid and selfish and undeserving of Dad's love and care, so she said nothing as Dad kept driving and the silence fell in the car between them, heavy, awkward, and alien.

The silence had lasted for a couple of minutes when Sky's phone buzzed in her pocket. She fished it out, just to see Hawk's smirking face and spiky hair on the screen.

"It's Hawk," She said, glancing at dad. "Can I answer?"

Dad frowned, but then gave a nod. "Fine, but keep it short."

Sky pressed the green button and brought the phone to her ear, adjusting the volume down so that Dad wouldn't hear what Hawk said.

"Sky, are you okay?" Hawk asked immediately as she picked up. His voice was raspy, tense with worry.

"I'm fine. What do you mean?"

"I just came home from the dojo, and Mom says your dad came here looking for you."

"Oh," Sky glanced at Dad by her side, his clenched jaw, the long-fingered hands that gripped the wheel with a white-knuckle grip. "Shit. I'm sorry about that."