Chapter 2 "Murder Case"

Scarlett

Stopping momentarily from assembling my gun, I stared out at an empty space as I recalled seeing Olivia hurt and wounded earlier. We were used to doing difficult and dangerous missions, but earlier, I admit, I feared for the worse. Greg had chosen the perfect time and managed to kidnap Olivia when our guards were down. After we got his drive, he completely went off the radar, and for a while, we searched for him, but we never expected he would strike in an inopportune time.

I admit, getting Olivia kidnapped was a mistake in our part. Sure, she and I were an unstoppable duo, but sometimes we got caught up in each other's presence, and we let our guards down. I honestly didn't know what to do. Having her near was an advantage so I could protect her easily even when she could on her own, but the downside was, she could distract me, and that wasn't good. I was beginning to think that it was better if she had a different partner, that way she could focus on missions. I knew she wouldn't like it, but her safety was more important than what she liked.

Still, I was reluctant. I was the only she could confide in. She preferred to be with me all the time, and so was I. Even if she had stopped talking about the past, and her revenge on Red, I knew she was still hurting and devastated, and as much as I could, I wanted to be there for her, but some things had became harder when she joined the Agency.

As I was about to continue on my task, a sudden knock on the door eventually stopped me from doing so, and without waiting for my permission, the door suddenly swung open and came in Olivia.

"Hey," I mumbled, noticing her gloomy expression. "How was it?"

"Nothing fun," she answered, before flopping down at my side, and let out a deep sigh.

"You okay?" I asked, making her shrug.

"Not really."

"Come on, let's get you to the infirmary, and get your wound treated," I suggested, but she just laid her head on my shoulder, and stayed quiet for a moment. "What's wrong, Liv? Do you want me to patch you up instead?"

"I just got reminded by what happened to dad," she suddenly mumbled.

"What did Black do this time?"

She sighed, "I'll tell you later. We still have to talk after the meeting."

"What meeting?"

"Apparently there's a serial killer on the loose, Black wants to brief us about it...Actually, we should get going, it's urgent," she informed.

"But are you sure you're okay?" I asked in concern, making her nod.

"Yeah, I can handle it, but patch me up after the briefing, okay? You know I hate going to the infirmary..."

I smiled, "I would be glad to, you'll be good as new by then."

"I'm counting on that," she replied, "come on, let's go."

We both got up, and eventually went out of the room, heading towards the briefing room. Glancing at Olivia from time to time, I couldn't help but think about the thing that had been weighing on my mind earlier. Now wasn't a good time to bring up the idea of having a new partner for her, because it was clear that something was on her mind at the moment, and I didn't want to add to that.

"Scarlett!" someone suddenly called me from behind, pulling me out of my thoughts, and when I turned back, I saw Violet came running towards us.

"Hey, V," I greeted once she caught up with us.

"Hi, Violetta," Olivia also greeted, causing Violet to roll her eyes.

"Quit calling me that," Violet mumbled under her breath, making Olivia briefly chuckle. "Yo, Liv, I heard what you did..."