Chapter 12 "Identified"

After Violet and I got patched up, we went straight to the briefing room to discuss what we found out so far. Now that we knew what the killer looked like, it was important to plan our next move, even if my body was screaming for some rest.

We reached the room, and everyone was already settled, including Gusev who already got cleaned up. He sat beside James who was discussing something with him. Judging by how comfortable Gusev was with James, the two must have been close back then.

"Welcome back, agents," Black greeted, giving us a subtle nod, before we took our seats. I sat beside Olivia, and eventually her hand found mine, giving me the comfort I so needed.

"I'm glad you're okay," Olivia mumbled in concern, "After the comms and camera went down, we could no longer reach you...You two got us worried for a second there."

"Me too, Liv. What happened was unexpected, but I'm just glad we managed to come back. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too. We'll talk later, okay," she said, and I nodded.

We shifted our attention to Black who was standing in front, looking more serious than ever. Earlier, while I was getting treated, a digital artist came in as I requested, and had managed to draw the features of the killer. When it was done, I called for Black, and the moment he saw it, his expression had eventually turned grim. Probably the reason why he requested an immediate meeting was that he made something out from the drawing.

"Before we start, I would like to say...welcome back, Lion," Black said, looking at Gusev who nodded gratefully.

"It's good to see some familiar faces...and of course, new faces," Gusev mumbled awkwardly, shifting uncomfortably on his seat.

"Thanks to Scarlett and Violet who brought Gusev safe back here at the Agency," Black added, and I nodded in appreciation. "Now, I know the two agents, including Gusev, need some rest, but we have a development on this case, so it couldn't wait."

"We know what the killer looks like. We fought him earlier. Violet managed to hit him, but he got away," I mumbled.

"That being said," Black said as he turned towards the screen behind him, "...this is what the killer looks like, as described by Scarlett," he continued, flashing the figure that was made earlier.

"Wait, he looks familiar...I couldn't remember where I saw him," Gusev suddenly said, narrowing his eyes as he was looking at the screen.

"...He looks like someone we knew," James mumbled reluctantly.

"You're right, he looks familiar, because we knew him," Black affirmed.

"Knew him?" Violet queried.

"Knew...because he was supposed to be dead," he answered.

"But that's impossible..." James commented, looking shocked.

"Who's he?" Olivia asked curiously.

Black then brought up a file on the screen, showing the familiar face of the killer but without the scar on his cheek.

"David Carter. He was a special agent, recruited by the Agency after he quit the Bureau."

"So he was once an agent here," Ryan interrupted, "how come I haven't seen his files before?"

Black flickered his gaze to James and Gusev who remained silent.

"His file was encrypted, for some reason," Black answered.

"Why?" I urged him to continue.

He sighed. "...Carter was an Elite, his codename was Rampage. He was...killed in action...He was supposed to be dead--"