Chapter 17 "Death is Inevitable"

Scarlett slowly fluttered her eyes open, after hearing a soft voice calling her name repeatedly. A glaring light instantly filled her vision, causing her to squint, and slightly flinch, but it didn't take long until her vision readjusted. She had no idea what had happened to her, why her body felt heavy, and her throat was sore and dry, until she recognized the constant beeping of the machine near her, and the tube that went into her nose, everything came flooding in.

"Thank God, you're awake!" Violet gasped as she peered down on Scarlett, relieved was evident in her expression.

Scarlett was about to speak out her surprise, but her dry throat prevented her from doing so. She took her time, before attempting so say something again.

"Wa--water," Scarlett finally mumbled.

"Oh, right," Violet replied hastily, before grabbing a glass of water from the overbed table, then adjusted the bed with Scarlett almost in a sitting position, and let her take small sips. "...How are you?" she asked, after Scarlett had her fill.

"...Tired. You...scared me," she answered weakly.

"Sorry! I'm just glad you're awake now, Scar... You sure gave us one hell of a scare too. Do you remember what happened?"

She nodded slowly, "I do," she said, feeling a prickling sensation on the gunshot wound. She wanted to rub the spot, but her arms felt a little heavy to move. "How long was I out?" she asked, and Violet seemed to think for a moment.

"...I don't know, more than a week. I lost count," Violet answered, shaking her head. "I was just so worried..."

"I'm sorry--"

"Scarlett your heart stopped," Violet suddenly let out without hesitation, waiting for Scarlett's reaction, "...we lost you for a moment, and it was like...a nightmare, for all of us," she added.

"I..." Scarlett mumbled, staring at Violet searchingly to see if she was being serious or not, and it only took her a few seconds to tell that Violet was indeed serious. "I--I'm sorry, V. That must...have been hard for you..." she said, thinking how she almost died, and how she made everyone worried.

"You have no idea, but I can't imagine what it was like for Black, and...Olivia."

The moment Violet mentioned Olivia, Scarlett perked up.

"Where's Olivia?...How is she?" Scarlett asked, remembering Olivia was also wounded, before she lost consciousness.

Violet quickly averted her gaze away from Scarlett, and Scarlett hadn't missed the reaction.

"Right, I'm gonna call everyone, and let them know you're awake," Violet said, and abruptly stood up from her chair.

"No, V, I--"

"They'll be so happy to see you, Scar," she added with a quick smile, before turning her back on Scarlett, and silently walked to the door and out of the room.

Scarlett sighed in defeat, while staring at the door. As much as she wanted to see everyone, it felt like a crowd would be overwhelming for her. She only wanted to see Olivia for the time being, to know if she was okay.

It didn't take long until the door burst open, and came in Black, followed by James, Gusev, and the gang. Black eventually took a seat on the same chair Violet had sat on, looking at Scarlett, looking relieved. Black knew how to mask his expression well, but this time, the emotion was evident on his face.

"You're finally awake. How are you feeling?" Black asked expectantly.

"I'm...okay," Scarlett answered, shifting her gaze among the faces present in the room, but there was no Olivia.