Chapter 11 "Face To Face"

Scarlett

I didn't know what was more scary, the yesterday's take-out or Black's grim expression right now. Apparently, he found out about where we were last night with Harper by tracing us, and now he was giving me a piece of his mind.

"What were you doing in the middle of nowhere last night?" he asked again, and I could see he was losing his patience.

"Nothing," I repeated.

"What, did you two just go on a date?"

I shrugged, "Kinda like that."

"Do not take me for a fool, Scarlett...We found the last Elite. We needed your input, but you were out of reach, so whatever you were doing must be more important than the mission."

"If I told you about last night, you wouldn't let me...Besides we managed it without your help, like we always do."

"So, you did something dangerous. Was it related to Olivia?"

I pursed my lips, not wanting to answer him. Honestly, I didn't have time to listen to him. He would always bring out how dangerous it would be for me, how he wouldn't want any agents to risk their lives just so Olivia could get the justice she was longing.

Who would help her, if not me?

"I don't want your care, Black...I don't care if you're worried about me. I will help Olivia as much as I can...even if it means my life," I stated calmly, recalling how he didn't want me to risk my life, especially if it involved Olivia's revenge.

"I know you noticed something about her. She's unstable, Scarlett. She will get you killed before you could even get to Red."

"You think I don't know that?..." I said, thinking back on the times Olivia lost control. She seemed to like violence, how it was easy for her to pull the trigger and kill someone who would stand in her way, and when it came to Red, she could go on rampage.

I knew she was slowly becoming a new person.

"What would you want me to do? Turn my back on her, for my safety?"

"I want you to stop tolerating her."

"How? If I won't help her then who would? You?" I scoffed. "It's like you don't even want to help her. You do things differently. You forbade me from helping her, you assigned a new partner, knowing it would affect her...I'm suspecting you're using Arya to trigger Olivia to confirm if she's really unstable. Am I right?"

"...I want to help her, I do. I also lost my best friend, but we have a priority right now."

"I know, that's why we didn't ask for your help, so you could focus on your priority," I said, before standing up, "My priority is Olivia, and you don't get a say on it. I want her to get the justice her family deserves as soon as possible, coz if this will drag too long, I might actually lose her, and I love her too much to let that happen..." I continued, thinking. Olivia was slowly losing herself and if this path of revenge would take long, I might actually lose her for good.

I turned my back on him, "I'll have Ryan to brief me about the mission tonight. Excuse me," I said, walking towards the door, and went out of the room.

As the door closed behind me, I let out a huge sigh as my shoulder slumped in defeat. Black was right. I was tolerating Olivia's behavior by going along with her. I didn't like how she was becoming, but the idea of losing her scared me. She had became more violent, and driven to get revenge on Red that she didn't care who would get in her way...but I wouldn't stop her. I would bring her to Red as soon as I could so she could exact her revenge.