Chapter 15 "Interdict"

Staring at a distance, I chose to ignore Black's presence as he took a seat beside my bed, looking at me with an unreadable expression. I couldn't tell what was going on through his head, but I was expecting he was going to reprimand me again, like he always did.

"I was wrong..." he started, piquing my interest, but I tried not to show it as I still refused to meet his gaze. "I thought Olivia was going to put you in danger, but I was wrong, it was actually you. Not only she's taken, you dragged the other agents in your madness too, good thing they didn't get hurt. What do you have to say for yourself?"

"...Nothing. I don't need to explain to you," I said, finally looking at him, "I don't wanna repeat myself over and over again, because you still can't understand why I'm doing this...As for the others, I needed their help, and they helped, without hesitation...What about you?"

He clenched his jaw as if what I just said had hit a nerve.

"I don't know what to do with you anymore..."

"How about you stop making things hard for me, and just let me be?"

"I've been too lenient with you, Scarlett, it's time I should change that."

I glared at him. "You know you can't stop me no matter what, Black."

Pursing his lips, he stared at me intently, "...The others are preparing to rescue, Olivia. I'm gonna lead the mission, and you...you stay here until you have recovered, and then we'll talk," he informed, changing the subject.

"I'm coming with you."

"No, I'm afraid I can't let you. You're in no condition to fight...and you've done enough."

"I'm responsible for Olivia. It's my fault she was taken, it's just right I should get her back."

"Olivia is my responsibility too. After all, she's still an agent, under my protection, same as you. So, I want you to behave, and wait. That's an order!...I'll bring her back, no matter what."

I stayed silent, fixing my gaze on him. I knew the more I insisted, the more he would make it hard for me, and the more he wouldn't let me.

"...Okay, just...please, bring her back," I mumbled in defeat, and for a fleeting moment, I caught his surprised expression as he clearly didn't expect how I easily caved in, but he quickly masked it with his usual expression.

"I will, I promise...so long as you stay here."

"I know my limits...You're right, I can't go into a mission like this."

"Good." Sighing, he stood up, fixing his suit as he looked back at me. "I mean it, Scar...behave yourself...or there will be consequences."

"I...I will," I answered, and he gave me a subtle nod, before turning his back on me, and walked out of the room, leaving me sighing.

Flopping my head down on the pillow, I stared at the ceiling quietly, contemplating. I could admit, Black was right. I was in no condition to fight. I couldn't even move without feeling some pain and discomfort throughout my body, but my worries and fears outweighed everything. I couldn't just wait and do nothing, while the others were out there rescuing Olivia. I was the reason she was taken in the first place, because I didn't manage to protect her. It was just right that I would be the one to get her back.

I didn't want to lose her, not like this.

"Hey..." I suddenly heard James' familiar voice as she came in, closing the door behind her. I was engrossed with my own thoughts that I didn't hear her coming in.

She walked towards my bed, and took a seat where Black had sat on.

"How are you feeling?"

"Not good," I replied, mainly referring to my emotional state. "...Did Black ask you to babysit me or something?"