Chapter 18 "Denial"

Scarlett

Tossing to the side, I stared blankly at an empty space, hoping that sleep would finally come. Lately, I had been plagued with negative thoughts, and I started having nightmares, I couldn't get enough sleep and rest, and it was making me feel dead. I couldn't think straight, my mind was in a constant mess, and it affected my routine as I lost interest in things I used to like doing. Even taking sleeping pills wouldn't help anymore.

I started to feel empty inside and I didn't know what was causing it.

Trying to clear my head, I closed my eyes, and suddenly felt an arm draped over my waist. She snuggled closer against my back, making me smile. It was preventing me from falling asleep, but I was okay with it. With her little gestures, I felt comforted already, but still, why did I feel like something was missing when I had her?

"I wish we could stay like this forever," Olivia mumbled behind, giving my waist a gentle squeeze.

I slowly turned so I could face her.

"You know there's no one stopping us from doing that," I replied, caressing her cheek with the back of my hand. "We can always cuddle."

"...No, we cant," she said, pulling my hand away from her cheek.

I frowned, "Why not?"

"We can't be together anymore. Did you forget what happened?"

"I don't understand...What happened?"

"...I died, Scarlett."

"What?" I stared at her, puzzled by her sudden statement, until something caught my eye, and when I looked down, I saw blood seeping through her nightgown. "You're hurt, what's happening?" I mumbled frantically as I got up, putting a hand on her side to apply pressure. I looked back up at her, and saw how calm she was as if she wasn't hurt.

"I'm sorry for leaving you, love," she said, but her expression remained stoic.

"Why would you say that? You're here, you never left," I argued. I was confused and anxious at the same time. I didn't know what was happening. I didn't know why she was saying she died when she was beside me, alive and breathing, how she had gotten hurt, and who hurt her.

"I'm not real...I don't belong here anymore."

"What the hell are you saying?! You're not making any sense... Come on, let's get you treated, I'll take you to the Agency," I said, hurriedly pulling her up, but she held my arm, stopping me from moving. She leaned in, bringing her face closer to mine.

"I am the missing piece, Scarlett..."

"What?" I asked, confused.

"...Wake up, love," she mumbled, and as if a switch had been flipped, I snapped back to reality, and woke up covered in sweat, gasping for breath.

Heaving myself up into a sitting position, I wiped the single tear off my cheek, and momentarily closed my eyes as I gathered myself, feeling a headache coming.

Another nightmare again, same scenario, but the only difference was, Olivia mentioned she was the missing piece. She was right. Since she left, I wasn't myself. I no longer feel whole, she took a part of me with her. I had been longing for her presence, and I missed her so badly. It wasn't the same anymore. I wasn't the same.

As I couldn't go back to sleep, I momentarily glanced at the bedside table to check the time. It was almost seven in the evening, which meant that I slept for almost two hours.

Getting off the bed, I walked out of the bedroom, heading towards the kitchen to fetch a glass of water. I could now feel the headache, and I needed to take an aspirin.