Chapter 8 "Troubled"

Scarlett

After redialing Olivia's number, I brought the phone against my ear, hoping the call would go through this time, but just like earlier, it was out of reach. I was beginning to worry after seeing a few missed calls from her, and losing her tracker, adding to the burden was the fact that I couldn't reach her. Random thoughts kept popping on my mind since I saw the calls that I wanted to rush here at the Agency to see if she was here, and now that I was here, I was hopeful that I would get to see her eventually.

"Still no luck?" Violet asked, watching me curiously.

I shook my head. "No. I wonder how she's doing."

"She's fine. She's probably doing something."

"I hope so," I mumbled weakly.

We remained silent for the whole elevator ride, and after waiting for a few minutes, finally it dinged open, revealing the bare hallway of the Agency.

"Nothing's changed, huh. Still the same, boring agency," James commented, roaming her gaze around as she adjusted her hold on her travel bag.

"I know right, but Black likes it here," Violet backed up.

"He does," James said in amusement.

"He's weird," Violet mumbled, making James smile.

"That we can agree."

"Let's just get to his office. He's gonna be pissed if we make him wait a little longer," I butted in as I led them towards Black's office.

Passing by a few agents who greeted us, I eventually wondered where the gang was at. I hoped Olivia was with them, keeping her company while I was away. I wouldn't want her to be alone as sometimes it would be unbearable for her.

"Here we are," I mumbled not long after, before barging in to Black's office. He eventually looked up to see who just came in unannounced, and once his gaze landed on me, he slowly shook his head.

"You forgot to knock, Scarlett," he said, shifting his gaze to Everleigh, "It's good to see you again, Eve," he added, his face had lightened up once he saw her.

"I told you not to call me that or did you forget?" James replied, dropping her bag on the floor as she looked at him sharply.

Black nodded, smiling, "Yeah, I'm sorry." He then stood up, rounding his table, and walked up to us, stopping in front of James. "Welcome back, James," he said, before opening his arms out to hug her, to which she obliged.

"You also forgot to give your daughter a hug. Should have done that in the first place," James mumbled after their brief hug.

"No, it's fine. We don't do that," I responded in a deadpan manner. "Is Olivia here?"

"No, she hasn't come in yet," Black answered, and immediately the anticipation of seeing Olivia died down as the uneasiness I was feeling came flooding back.

"Where is she?"

"I'm not sure--"

"When was it you last saw her?"

Black momentarily thought. "Yesterday."

"And you didn't bother contacting her?!" I snapped before I could even stop myself. "What if she got kidnapped again? She'll be dead before you'll notice she's missing!"

"Olivia can handle herself, Scarlett. Don't underestimate what she's capable of."

"I'm not underestimating her, I'm worried about her. She tried calling me a few times, but now I can't contract her...I trusted you to keep an eye on her, yet you failed me again."