Chapter 13 "Encounter"

Olivia

In eight days, we had managed to burn another two small facilities down operated by the Vipers, and currently, we were gearing to take down a small warehouse this time. According to Harper, it was one of the locations where the Vipers would store their drugs. Scarlett's contact had provided us everything we needed, weapons and manpower, making our work easier. Of course, what we were doing, we never told Black. We were going behind his back the whole time. I knew he had noticed something, but he hadn't confronted us yet, and somehow, that made me wonder. It wasn't him to just ignore something like this.

"Thought I might find you here. What are you doing here all alone?" Harper asked as she approached me. "Everyone's preparing for tonight, are you good?"

I nodded, "Yeah," I answered, shifting my weight on the other foot as I leaned against the hood of the car.

"Something on your mind, rookie?"

"A lot..." I calmly answered.

She took a cigarette and lit it, blowing a puff of smoke, while doing the same thing as me, leaning against the hood.

"Well, you should clear your head before we head out."

"I know, not my first time...And you? What are you doing here, bothering me?"

She snorted, "Unlike you, I'm here to clear my head...This could be more dangerous than the last time."

"Yeah, it's possible they could be waiting for us."

"That's why I want you at your best tonight."

"I know what to do. Not my first rodeo, Harper."

Even if Harper and I already did some jobs together, I still couldn't get comfortable in her presence. I didn't know why but I always thought she was not the type of person you could be friendly with.

"Anyways..." she began, "I want to thank you and your girlfriend for everything. We wouldn't be here without your help."

I looked at her incredulously. "So you know how to say thank you after all."

"I may look tough, but I'm not cold-hearted," she retorted.

"Is this the part where we become friends?"

"Nope."

"Good, wouldn't dream of it."

A momentary silence had enveloped us, not until I noticed her looking at me.

"What does your girlfriend do?" she suddenly asked out of curiosity, making me frown.

"Why do you ask?"

"Well, for one, she easily provided us with resources."

"Ahh, well...she has the contact, I have the money."

"So what do you do then?"

I stayed silent for a moment, thinking what should I answer her.

"I kill people," I calmly said, causing her to snort.

"Yeah, right," she said, rolling her eyes.

"What about you? What did the Vipers do to you?"

She snorted, shaking her head, letting me know she wouldn't answer me, "Some other time, rookie," she uttered, detaching herself from the hood, "...I'll let you know when we're ready to go," she said, before going away without waiting for my reply.

If she didn't want to tell me about her life, it was fine by me, after all, we weren't that close to start getting sentimental.

As I stared at her retreating figure, I saw Scarlett approaching in my direction. She and Harper then gave each other a nod as they met halfway, before continuing on their way.