Chapter 21 "Altercation"

I didn't know what had gotten into me, but I ended up going back to the Agency to know what went down. It was like curiosity got over me, thinking about James. She wasn't the type to just start a fight without reason, especially if it was with Black. Something must have triggered her that caused to lose her cool. I would admit, that piqued my interest.

Once the elevator slid open, Ryan and Valerie had eventually greeted Walters and me. We followed them to where James was instead, after knowing Black wanted to be alone. They led us to the briefing room where James was sitting, holding an ice pack over the side of her head. She had a cut on her upper lip and her right cheekbone was bruised.

Once we were inside, Ryan and Valerie then had left, closing the door behind them.

"One hella fight huh, Agent James," Walters began as she took a seat across James.

"Yeah, nothing new," James answered nonchalantly. "This is how Black and I bicker."

"What happened?" I asked, making James sigh, but eventually frowned when she noticed my puffy eyes.

"Were you crying?" she asked, and I nodded silently.

I went to sit beside Walters, while James set aside the ice pack.

"I'm not gonna talk about why I was crying. I wanna talk about what happened between you and Black."

She eventually let out a sarcastic snort. "Your father is one big asshole..."

"...Yeah, I know that much. From what I gathered, you're not one to start a fight, without reason. What did he do?"

"I found out something...but I couldn't tell you, Scarlett. It's not my place."

"Great. So, was it the reason you two fought?"

She looked at me carefully. "Yeah. I couldn't take it. What he did...I can't imagine the repercussions..." she added, looking at me intently as she said the last words.

"That's not surprising, I mean, we're talking about Black here," Walters butted in. "He wouldn't be Black without his secrets, right?"

"I just lost control. I'm sorry I hit your dad..."

"I don't mind. So, you're not gonna tell me what it is you found out?"

James slowly nodded reluctantly.

"So, I came here for nothing," I said sternly, before standing up abruptly. "And I bet Black wouldn't tell me either. He never does."

"Wait, don't go," James eventually spoke,  before turning her attention to Walters, "If you don't mind, I would like to talk to Scarlett alone, Agent Walters."

"Sure," Walters replied, before standing up, and quietly exited the room.

Once she was out, I slowly sat back down, looking at her curiously. She didn't speak up for a moment, probably still thinking what she wanted to say or how to begin the conversation.

"...Have you...thought of leaving the Agency?"

I frowned, "...What brought this on?"

"I can tell you have been hurt a lot, and now I can tell you're hurting, maybe...if you leave here, and start anew, everything will change."

"I don't know where this is going..."

"I care about you like my own daughter, Scarlett, and I hate how Black is treating you...The truth is...I was with your mom when she left here. We both left at the same time. It was after she realized Black chose to stay here rather than leaving and having a normal life with you and your mom."