Chapter 2 - Coup d'État (1)

Part 1 - Coup d'État

It had been 20 hours since the "Incident". Rico and Aaron slept over at Ronald's skyscraper. Well, they barely slept. Aaron had just woken up from his small slumber and realized that Rico was no longer in bed.

At the same time, Ronald was patrolling the hallways. Ronald was now their only relative. He had a medium-sized beard and long ginger hair. Ronald Amon was two years younger than Daniel Amon. He was the principal of the "Amon Combat School" and very proficient as a wind-type elemental mage.

Suddenly, his magic all-purpose watch unrolled from his wrist and covered half of his forearm. Along with the voice that appeared in his head (since the watch was connected to the microchip located in his brain), the screen indicated:

"Incoming call"

"Jacob R."

"Accept?"

"To call me at this hour, this must be important." After answering the call, Ronald heard a voice in his head. It was Jacob Raider. He was the vice-leader of the Amon guild.

"Hello, Ronald Amon. I am calling you to give you some news on the current situation."

Ronald sighed. He wished things could go back to the way they were. "Hey, Jacob. Did you confirm that the maiden was the one who poisoned my brother and miss Elis Leon?"

"Yes. This means that there are probably other traitors amongst the guild and since this is the biggest one in the western continent...

"...Oh, right! I wanted to tell you that we have put a bounty on the 3 bad guys from yesterday. The first one is 'Explo' which left behind 2 of her 'red magic cannons' that she possessed.

"Then, there is 'Crow'. He is a dark magician. His unique power allows him to turn his limbs into air currents. This makes him very fast and dangerous. Moreover, he seems to be a swordsman.

"Finally, the last one is 'Zomb'. We do not anything about their powers, but they seem to be the weakest."

Just as he finished his sentence, Ronald spotted a trail of blood on the floor... "Blood?! Jacob Raider! Send backup asap! I think someone infiltrated my home!" He hung up.

After following the trail, Ronald found himself in front of room #1705. "Wait, this is Rico and Aaron's room! Where are the guards?!" He quickly realized that the door was still locked. *Crackle~ Crack~ Bang!* Ronald's fist smashed the door open. Around his fist was a layer of solid mana that acted as a very hard glove.

His all-purpose watch, while capable of conjuring a spear, could also conjure many other things. It functioned by transforming a human's mana into solid mana. Since he was a wind elemental mage, Ronald Amon did not need too much mana to fight. As such, he relied on this when battling.

"Oh, shit...." Inside the room, Ronald found a figure wearing a half-green and half-brown tough mask pointing a pistol at Rico's head! "So we meet again! You can call me Zomb by the way." Zomb planned to threaten him by holding his nephew hostage.

"I can't hesitate," thought Ronald. He hid both of his hands behind his back.

"Huh? Why are you so silent? Mister Ronald, let me explain to you what is currently happening. You see, I have Rico hosta-"

*SLASH*

Under a second, Zomb's head had been completely pierced by Ronald's secretly conjured spear. Because of Ronald's very quick dash, Zomb did not seem to get the time to decide what his next move would be. This is the power of wind magic.

"Rico, go wake your brother up and hide! There may be more of them."

Ronald called Jacob Raider. "Hello. You are talking to Jacob Raider, vice master of the Amon guild. Oh? It's you!" Jacob answered the call. "Yeah, it's me. I just killed that 'Zomb' guy. I'm in Aaron and Rico's room. The number's 1705. The guards are missing, so I might need some help over here!"

"I told you that the Amon HQ was safer, yet you still decided to bring them there. Hmmm... Wait! Mister Ronald, did you get some of his blood over yourself?"

Ronald looked at his arm. "I thought so, but I guess I didn't. Why, does it matter?"

Jacob felt relieved. "Oh! Never mind then. I was just worrying about your clothes getting dirty, that's all."

"Huh? You aren't making any sense right now... Forget it! Is the help coming or not?!"

"Yes, it is on its way, but I am afraid that the help is not coming to help you. In fact, it is quite the opposite." He laughed maliciously. "By the way, are you sure that Zomb really is dead?"

Knowing Zomb's power, and learning that the blood on Ronald had disappeared, Jacob knew that Zomb, one of his agents, was still alive.

In fact, Zomb's body that was lying on the floor just behind Ronald had also disappeared. It was an illusion!

End of chapter 2

Author's note: Thanks for reading this chapter! This is the first (and likely the only) web novel I will write. It'll take me a few years to finish because I'm only doing this as a hobby, and there are a lot of chapters.