Chapter 69 - Obscure War (8)

The Obscure Guild, inner layer.

The layer had five cities, each representing a different Cursed, the homes of the Five Seats, also known as the Five Capitals.

One of those cities was Dovure, the reptoid capital. It was prestigious. Dovure was known as the Obscure Guild's free city. In Dovure, the residents widely embraced the ideals of racial equality and non-discrimination. It was also the home of many famous personalities, the place to be for anyone working in literature, cinema, or media.

Zephyr Dragos, the Reptoid King, had transformed what was once the most depressive location out of the Five Capitals into a masterpiece riddled with jewels, gold and novelty.

It was a site anyone who could voyage in the Obscure Guild would see at least once. However, beneath the shiny blankets, it was a show of strength, an exhibition of what the Obscure Guild would never be for everyday people, and a way for the government to waste their hard-earned money instead of investing in the citizen's well-being.

It was Zephyr's genius method for controlling the masses.

Zephyr sat on his comfortable leather couch and looked at the view underneath his clawed feet. Through the enormous one-sided window of his living room, he saw his creation, a city he regarded as his own.

His skin was rough, a greenish-brown, sturdy like tree roots. He was very muscular, both a politician and an exceptional combattant. The unproportioned folded legs of reptoids allowed them to catapult themselves like grasshoppers. Through vigorous training, Zephyr attained legs sturdier than most of his kind.

"Zephyr, darling." Stana walked out of the corridor. She was his wife, an old energetic reptoid.

"Yes, love?" Zephyr looked at her with eyes on each side of his elongated face. Her ridiculous amount of makeup, golden accessories and colourful clothes made it seem like she was preparing for a theatrical performance at a festival.

"I've received a report from the second layer."

"How bad is it?"

"Worse than we thought. There are dozens of terrorist attacks. They are targeting important members and establishments. Gabriella Rivampe is trying to weaken us, and it's working."

...

Having accomplished their mission, Gabriella and Aaron went back to the pub. There were fewer soldiers than before. Some had died, and others were out doing their own assignments.

Gabriella wondered what Stephen was doing and what was next in the plan. She felt uncomfortable now that she was hiding from the media. People would start to worry, she thought. The rebels were all following Stephen, thinking it was Gabriella's plan. 'I feel like a charlatan.'

There were many people at her table. They were Aaron's new friends and comrades. Some were in their forties, but most were young adults. Everyone was celebrating their victory; no one of them had died.

After calming down, they began discussing about a serious matter. "The reptoids still haven't appeared. We can't find any of them." Said a young blonde woman.

"They must be hiding," a slim vampire glanced at Gabriella to see her reaction.

Aaron also looked at her and added, "Many human politicians have also disappeared."

The Vampiric Queen took a deep breath. "The reptoids' ability is to shapeshift. They can change from reptilians to humans. Some can take on tens of forms. As you might have guessed, most human politicians aren't really humans. The Obscure Guild is ruled by the cursed. One could be sitting among us, and no one would notice."